none
word 2010 add-in upgrade path? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Given the apparent situation that we cannot target .NET 4.5 with a office 2010 add-in, what is the upgrade path to a office 2013 add-in?

Is this a manual conversion process? Create a new project and move the code? Is there a tool from MS that automates this process?

Thank You!

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:41 PM

Answers

• Hi ymdev,

Well, as I said, "Mileage may vary".

What version of VS are you using, and where are you getting the "The .NET Framework version you selected is not supported by this project type" message?  Even if you're using VS 2012, I'm assuming you still have a Office-2010-based project:  if so, the design-time may be fighting against you.  In the scenario I mentioned above, I had started with a VS 2012 project targeting Office 2013, but was pleasantly surprised to see it run on a Office 2010 end-user machine just fine.  I hadn't intended to have that machine by 2010, it just so happened that it was.  But the add-in ran without a problem -- despite being created for a newer version of Office.  It's not an officially supported scenario, but it did work for me, at least for an add-in (rather than document-level) project.  So, depending on how badly you want .NET 4.5 support on Office 2010, you might give it a try... but realizing that you're stepping outside the official path...

Hope this helps,

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Saturday, December 22, 2012 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hi vmdev,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As far as I know , that Word 2010 add-in can't use .NET Framework 4.5. And there seems not update to support your goal in current time.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Hi Tom

Forgive me for back-tracking this thread, but I'm not sure you understood the original question. I believe ymdev is asking: What is the correct way to move an Office 2010 add-in to an Office 2013 add-in?

The question is asked because ymdev wants to use .NET framework 4.5. Since this is not supported for Office 2010 add-ins, they desire to upgrade from 2010 to 2013.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:08 AM
  • As Michael Zlatkovsky mentioned - currently vstor that supports .net 4.5 is disabled for download due to serious bug doscovered lately there and there is no timeframe for fixing this. So of course this does not answer original question but i think that right now one should postpone using this vstor as a requirement.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:58 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thank you very much for commenting on this thread, you are correct as to the question.

We are left with no good options for upgrading our entire solution to .net 4.5 since one project is a office 2010 add-in. We have a shared sdk for all our team projects and we cant even upgrade the sdk since this project depends on the sdk along with other solution projects.

The reason for asking about upgrading to 2013 is in the event we could upgrade to 2013 or use a 2013 add-in with office 2010.  So far it looks like we are sticking with office 2010 and skipping the upgrade until at least the version of office after 2013.

Once again, thank you for the reply.

• Edited by dnndev Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:12 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Hi DamianD,

Would that be build 40302? If yes, you can find the download here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11678614/how-to-get-c-sharp-vsto-to-build-in-net-framework-4-5

I installed 40302 and it still did not work using office 2010 add-in with .NET 4.5.

Thanks for pointing out why the .net 4.5 compatible template version is delayed and that there is no fix in the foreseeable future.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Hi ymdev,

UPDATE:  The latest runtime is now available to the public, and eliminates the issue noted by Damian (and mentioned by me on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/dd319ffe-6a4e-4448-8cff-67ac8d88adb2)

If you're using the web bootstrapper (for add-ins developed using Visual Studio 2010), the bootstrapper will automatically chain in the latest version, so no action is required on your part, or on that of your users.  If you're deploying from Visual Studio 2012,  you'll need to enable the bootstrapper functionality manually:  please see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2012/12/21/creating-a-bootstrapper-package-for-an-office-2013-vsto-add-in-with-visual-studio-2012.aspx.  End-Users can also download the latest runtime from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=140384

Regarding .NET 4.5:  You will need VS 2012 to target .NET 4.5.  If you're talking about an application-level add-in (rather than document-level), I know I personally saw a VS 2012 Office 2013 add-in that, once deployed, ran on Office 2010 just fine.  However, this is not an "officially" supported scenario:  the official recommendation is always to have the lowest-common-denominator version of Office that you're targeting on the developer machine.  So, it may work for you, but mileage may vary...

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:47 AM
  • Hi Michael - I still cannot target .NET framework 4.5 with a 2010 word add-in after installing the latest VSTO.

Is this scenario supported?

Thank You!

Saturday, December 22, 2012 3:27 AM
  • Hi ymdev,

Well, as I said, "Mileage may vary".

What version of VS are you using, and where are you getting the "The .NET Framework version you selected is not supported by this project type" message?  Even if you're using VS 2012, I'm assuming you still have a Office-2010-based project:  if so, the design-time may be fighting against you.  In the scenario I mentioned above, I had started with a VS 2012 project targeting Office 2013, but was pleasantly surprised to see it run on a Office 2010 end-user machine just fine.  I hadn't intended to have that machine by 2010, it just so happened that it was.  But the add-in ran without a problem -- despite being created for a newer version of Office.  It's not an officially supported scenario, but it did work for me, at least for an add-in (rather than document-level) project.  So, depending on how badly you want .NET 4.5 support on Office 2010, you might give it a try... but realizing that you're stepping outside the official path...

Hope this helps,

- Michael

Saturday, December 22, 2012 4:11 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, very helpful.

I am using VS 2012 and I get the error message when via the project properties -> application tab -> change target framework from .net 4 to .net 4.5 via the 2012 IDE.

Yes, the word add-in is a office 2010 based project.  All of our users will be using office 2010 at this time.

We are leaning towards a work-around mentioned in another post that says you can manually change the project file (outside of the vs2012 ide) to target framework version 4.5.  This seems to work including debugging, we are still testing this approach but don't like going around the IDE for changes such as this.

Have you tried this approach? or have any ideas if its better or worse than using a office 2013 add-in with 2010?

We are still hoping for an official fix from MS, other than moving to office 2013.

Once again, thank you for your insight!

Saturday, December 22, 2012 12:13 PM