Is coding an app with Xamarin less likely to be invested by a VC? RRS feed

• Question

• User315059 posted

Is coding an app with Xamarin less likely to be invested by a VC?

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:17 AM

All replies

• User240901 posted

@avita said: Is coding an app with Xamarin less likely to be invested by a VC?

I presume by VC you mean Venture Capatalists? Not talking from experience personally myself as I don't directly deal with VC's in my full time job and I crowd fund most of personal apps. However the company I work for has been able to make some strong arguments towards investors, board members, and customers about Xamarin.

Some of the points raised include:

• We hired less people but more technical people; we used this to convince customers of faster turnovers due to a more intimate and technical team rather than having to work with outsourced resources (such as for Windows support)
    • Since Microsoft own Xamarin now, the integrity of the platform was a lot less likely to be questioned.
    • Aligned sprints, iterations and release trains for Android, iOS, Windows, and eventually MacOS? Whats not to love?

Of course there are probably others, but alas I am just a developer and don't get included in these sorts of discussions much :smile:

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:06 PM
  • User272135 posted

I'm pretty sure the only thing they would want is a return on investment. Is your VC going to get more money back?

Getting a return on investment aside, you're going to have to ask your investor what IDE they want to use to code their app to figure this out. Assuming they do care about what you're going to code your app in, you're going to have to look at the pros and cons of Xamarin. If you're getting funding from a VC I don't see why you can't go completely native, but there are downsides such as no shared code, learning Java + Objective C / Swift, and you're going to have to pay for both iOS + Android development. Xamarin has its downsides like its startup times and lack of libraries compared to going native.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:07 PM
  • User262172 posted

@avita

People, Organisations or Teams makes an investment into anything with respect to ROI (Return on Investment), I doubt why someone as a potential investor into your idea/product/solution/business worry about the technology stack.

As per my experience across startup community, I notice some inclination to preference to open-source technology, but tell you what Xamarin is open-source, as far as operation costs about your idea/product/solution/business is concerned, that is your responsibility to deliver as fast as you can, ship iterative results while keeping the cost low.

Also just a suggestion, focus on Execution Model (Business Model, Customer engagement, Gamify the experience) to help you drive better revenue (Not Ads and stuff) and that may be your USP for a potential investor instead of your technology stack, of-course technology stack matters, but then they won't bother much if you can't talk numbers, though call but that is how they roll ;)

An analogy

Native dev teams

5 for Android
    5 for iOS
    2 UI/UX for Design
    2 Managers
    ---------------------
    Total: 14 Persons

Diversity is limited or rather restricted across iOS and Android teams (Team size is always subjective to scope of work)

Xamarin dev teams

6 Xamarin devs (2 Android, 2 iOS, 2 XF) 
    2 UI/UX for Design
    2 Managers
    ---------------------
    Total: 10 Persons (-4 as per Native dev teams)

Licensing is something where you may spend more as compared to Native dev team, but then you get better diversity with same platform specific benefits

Of course, this may vary from case to case, others may not agree with me on this one, but then with effective resource planning, things can get better in terms of upfront investment and operations cost.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:32 PM