'RELATIONSHIP MAY BE NEEDED' based on location of measure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - quick question about the yellow 'RELATIONSHIP MAY BE NEEDED' in Excel 2016 PowerPivot.

I want to organize all my Measures in a dummy table per Rob Collie's guide in this post (https://powerpivotpro.com/2013/02/organizing-your-measures-with-a-dummy-table-guest-post-from-eric-hutton/). It seems identical Measures will calculate correctly regardless of which Calculation Area they live in. However, if a Measure lives in the Calculation Area of an unrelated table, I get the 'RELATIONSHIP MAY BE NEEDED' error.

Am I correct to think this is a dummy error (Rob implies that it is in his post)? Is there any way to clear this, perhaps by creating a dummy relationship between the only cell in my dummy table and every single table in the workbook? That error message is sometimes useful, so I'd like to preserve true errors if possible.

Thanks!

Friday, September 15, 2017 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi mc9526,

Thanks for your question.

Measures (also known as calculated fields) are one of the most powerful features in Power Pivot. They are calculations you create for measuring a result relative to other factors pertinent to your analysis, such as total sales calculated for time, geography, organization, or product.  It is a true error for your model, as you can not build relationships between the dummy table and the other tables.

Based on this, It is impossible to clear this. Just as Rob stated in his blog which provided by you, "The only trouble with this approach? You have to get used to ignoring that “Relationship may be needed” warning box." .

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by mc9526 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:30 PM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 8:19 AM