none
Error 25007.Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not load fusion with LoadLibraryShim(). Error: The handle is invalid. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I previously have problem with updates for .net framework 3.5 for my server 2003, so I follow this post

"When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100)"

to uninstall all the .net products and re-install again.

However, I tried to install .net 1.1 which it said I had it already. Then I tried .net 1.1 SP1 but it said it can't find the product to be updated. Ok, I tried to install .net 3.5 SP1 but it said I don't have .net 2.0 installed.

So I tried to install .net 2.0 but had the following error "Error 25007.Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not load fusion with LoadLibraryShim(). Error: The handle is invalid."

I have searched many answers on the internet which needs to fix the registry. I am not familiar with that and afraid to screw up.

I try to fix a problem but to create more problems. What can I do? Please help! Many thanks!

Terry

• Moved by Paul Zhou Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:49 AM not supported (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Terry,

Based on your description, it’s a problem related to .NET Framework Setup. I'm moving this thread from Base “.NET Base Class Library" to “.NET Framework Setup" forum. There are more experts in that forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Thanks for your post.

For the error code 1603, would you please follow the steps mentioned in this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/08/01/446328.aspx, and find the cause of the error? When you find the detailed cause of the error, please post it back here, so that we can give you more advice on how to solve this problem.

And for the error 25007, you might find some useful workround in this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/06/591694.aspx

Before install .NET Framework, please finish the steps below first:

- Turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software during installation;

- Install the latest Windows updates from the Windows Update site: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com;

- Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation. (And don't forget to turn it on later)

- Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

Then please run the setup with Administrator privilege: right-click the installer -> Run as administrator.

I hope this will help.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Andrew.WuModerator Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by terryamk Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Thanks for your help.

I have read those blogs and even contacted the author, Aaron, but he still can't help me on this problem.

After uninstallation of those .net, the file mscoree.dll in the folder C:\windows\system32 is missing. So Aaron advised me to install .net 4.0 to get this file back (but in version 4). Then I tried to install .net 3.5 SP1 again but failed with the following log:

[09/25/10,19:32:45] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [09/25/10,20:28:21] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [09/25/10,20:31:39] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [09/25/10,20:35:53] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [02/05/11,11:07:20] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [02/05/11,15:36:13] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [02/15/11,19:25:36] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [02/19/11,16:05:21] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [02/19/11,16:12:07] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [02/19/11,16:58:11] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [02/19/11,16:58:23] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.
    [02/21/11,20:02:11] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [02/21/11,20:02:23] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.
    [03/11/11,19:03:45] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [03/11/11,19:03:58] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.

So I think there is still no answer for my question. Thanks.

Terry

Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Would you please help to collect the installation log files for me? This will help to locate the cause of the installation failure.

You can follow the steps below to collect the log files:

·         Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

·         Install .NET Framework again (with Administrator privilege).

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         You can find the vslogs.cab file in the %temp% folder.
    Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail:
    v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:23 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Would you please help to collect the installation log files for me? This will help to locate the cause of the installation failure.

·         Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Thanks Andrew

I would like to know which version of .net you want me to install? .net 2.0 or .net 3.5 SP1? And I have already installed .net 4.0.

Thanks again

Terry

Monday, March 14, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Hi Terry,

v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Hi Andrew

I have emailed to you some days ago and please check your mailbox. Thanks.

Terry

Friday, March 25, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Sorry for the late response.

I have checked the log files you sent me, and find the error message below in the dd_NET_Framework20_Setup0ACD.txt file:

MSI (s) (60:8C) [19:59:52:593]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 -- Error 1931.The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.3053_x-ww_b80fa8ca\msvcr80.dll because the file is protected by Windows.  You may need to update your operating system for this program to work correctly. Package version: 8.0.50727.3053, OS Protected version:

The error 1931 means: Windows Installer protects critical system files. For more information, see: Using Windows Installer and Windows Resource Protection.
    And here is a KB article to resolve this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898628. Would you please try the steps mentioned in this article.
    Also, please download and install the latest Windows Installer version 4.5: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Then, you can use the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the installation status of the .NET Frameworks installed in your system. And check which version of .NET Frameworks has installed in your system.

If the verification tool reports some errors, you can go to Control Panel -> Add/remove programs to uninstall the .NET Frameworks(with order 4.0 -> 3.5 SP1 -> 3.5 -> 3.0 SP2 etc.).

Next, please download and install the .NET Frameworks back to your system:

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Sorry for the late response.

I have checked the log files you sent me, and find the error message below in the dd_NET_Framework20_Setup0ACD.txt file:

MSI (s) (60:8C) [19:59:52:593]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 -- Error 1931.The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.3053_x-ww_b80fa8ca\msvcr80.dll because the file is protected by Windows.  You may need to update your operating system for this program to work correctly. Package version: 8.0.50727.3053, OS Protected version:

The error 1931 means: Windows Installer protects critical system files. For more information, see: Using Windows Installer and Windows Resource Protection.
    And here is a KB article to resolve this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898628. Would you please try the steps mentioned in this article.
    Also, please download and install the latest Windows Installer version 4.5: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Then, you can use the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the installation status of the .NET Frameworks installed in your system. And check which version of .NET Frameworks has installed in your system.

If the verification tool reports some errors, you can go to Control Panel -> Add/remove programs to uninstall the .NET Frameworks(with order 4.0 -> 3.5 SP1 -> 3.5 -> 3.0 SP2 etc.).

Next, please download and install the .NET Frameworks back to your system:

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Thanks Andrew

I wondered why the file is protected as I had .net 2.0 before.

Btw, I followed the KB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898628) and checked that my version of "msi.dll" is 3.1.4000.4042. I don't know whether it's Windows Installer 3.1 (v1) with version 3.1.4000.1823 or (v2) with version 3.1.4000.2435.  Should I directly install Windows Installer 4.5? If not, is there any other ways to temporarily remove the file protection?

Thanks again

Terry

Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:54 AM
  • hi Terry,

You can directly install the 4.5 version of Windows installer. Then install the .NET Frameworks again.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I'm having a similar issue.   "Error 25007.Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not load fusion with LoadLibraryShim(). Error: The handle is invalid."  when loading .net framework 2.0.  Started out that I couldn't install some .net framework updates to 2.0 and 3.5.  I've tried things written online, but worried about the fact that this server is running SQL 2005.  I removed 2.0 to try and reinstall and get the 25007.  3.5 fails as well. 

Currently I have .net framework 3.0 sp2, 3.5 sp1 4 client profile 4 extended.  I've collected the logs, but I'm not sure what to do with the errors.  Can I send them to you for you to look at?

Monday, April 25, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

I removed all references to fusion from registry (using regedit and search for fusion)

then i deleted the folder from %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\

try installing again

Monday, September 5, 2011 12:46 PM
  • I was able to solve the same error on a Windows Server 2003 system by:

1.  Using Aaron Stebner's .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, uninstalling .NET 3.5, .NET 3.0, .NET 2.0, and then rebooting.

2.  Using the same tool, uninstalling .NET 4.0 and then rebooting again.

3.  Reinstalling .NET 2.0, .NET 3.5 SP1, and then rebooting.

4.  Reinstalling .NET 4.0 and then rebooting.

At this point, all .NET Frameworks appear functional!  Hope this helps someone! =)

• Proposed as answer by Aaron D. Johnson Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by terryamk Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:20 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:15 AM
  • I was able to solve the same error on a Windows Server 2003 system by:

1.  Using Aaron Stebner's .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, uninstalling .NET 3.5, .NET 3.0, .NET 2.0, and then rebooting.

2.  Using the same tool, uninstalling .NET 4.0 and then rebooting again.

3.  Reinstalling .NET 2.0, .NET 3.5 SP1, and then rebooting.

4.  Reinstalling .NET 4.0 and then rebooting.

At this point, all .NET Frameworks appear functional!  Hope this helps someone! =)

Thanks Aaron

I have tried your steps before but:

1. Ok

2. Ok

3. "Reinstalling .NET 2.0" -> Failed, Reinstalling .NET 3.5 SP1 -> Failed

4. Ok

Thanks again

Terry

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:19 PM