Trying to deploy an ASP.NET 4.0 app to a Windows Server 2008 R2 server; do I Copy Web Site or Publish it? RRS feed

• Question

• User-900017823 posted

I've done this thing before, but with older versions of Visual Studio. I've just put together a small ASP.NET web site, single page, which I want to deploy to our internal web server. I'm now working with VS 2012 Premium. In the past I'd use VS 2005 or older, and did a Copy Web Site. When I tried that with this new website I got an error from VS 2012 informing me that the web server doesn't have FrontPage Server Extensions. (Last year we migrated off of hosting our servers locally. Our servers are now hosted in virtual machines by our parent organization.) Well, I don't want to put FPSE onto the server, so I guess Copy Web Site isn't going to work for me. That leaves either copying all of the files to a file share on the VM, and from there I can copy them into a directory that I'd point to in IIS 7 on the server. I'd rather not do that.

The alternative, as I see it, is to use Publish Web Site from within VS 2012. I've never done that before. I wanted the video, on this website, by Scott Hanselman, describing the Publish Web Site functionality, but there's one important point I just don't get. What is the whole "Publish Profile" all about? Scott used publishing to Azure, but that's not want I'm trying to do. How do I get a publish profile for the Publish Web Site functionality in VS 2012, so I can publish to a website in the VM hosted by my parent organization?

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:45 PM

Answers

• User-1378019758 posted

Hi DoctorWho,

When you use VS, you can deploy it with FTP or WebDeploy. Please read http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465337(VS.100).aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:35 PM

All replies