none
V8 - can't update InfoboxActions labels after Infobox has been created RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to update the label of an InfoboxActions object after I've already created the Infobox object.  The buttons are toggle buttons, so I need the labels to reflect the current state (i.e. selected/unselected).  So far, I've had no luck.  Just updated the "label" property of the InfoboxActions object has no effect, and even calling Infobox.SetOptions() does not update it.  Anyone have a solution?

And on a side-note, is there any way to set a "disabled" property on the action buttons?  I need to sometimes conditionally enable/disable these buttons.

Craig Hutchison Software Engineer Experient, Inc.

Monday, September 19, 2016 3:23 PM

Answers

• Infobox Actions are primarily there for backwards compatibility as these existed in the previous version of Bing Maps (with the same limitations). These are don't work well when reusing a single infobox instance. In V8 it is recommended to simply use custom HTML in the description and add your links there.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:21 AM

All replies

• I think I figured out a workaround... If I just create a new array containing all of the same InfoboxActions' (so that it's a new array reference), then Bing Maps seems to recognize that a change has taken place and it updates the button labels... but it does not seem to just watch the array contents for changes, hence the need for a new array altogether.

I would still like to know if there's any way to "disable" Infobox Actions?  Why can't <button type="button"> elements be used in place of <a href="javascript:void(0);"> elements to render the buttons?  You can style a <button> just like an <a> without much difficulty, and you get the added benefit of being able to disable it.

Monday, September 19, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Infobox Actions are primarily there for backwards compatibility as these existed in the previous version of Bing Maps (with the same limitations). These are don't work well when reusing a single infobox instance. In V8 it is recommended to simply use custom HTML in the description and add your links there.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:21 AM
  • What I need are not so much links, but buttons.  I have a SPA application using Angular 2.0 and need to be able to attach event handlers to the buttons, which I can't do with simple custom HTML... I'd need a way of directly accessing the DOM element in order to create a custom implementation of what I want to do.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:19 PM
  • Ok, then use Infobox actions and don't reuse the infobox.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:03 AM
  • What about injecting HTML into the Infobox action's label?  I was doing this in V7 and wrapping a CSS class around it to mimic a disabled style, but now in V8 HTML seems to be escaped for the labels so that approach is no longer working for me.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Can you provide me a short code sample of what you were doing in V7 so I can take a look? I'll have a chat with the dev team to see if this is something we want to enable.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:38 PM