Customizing Windows 7 Startup and Shutdown Screens RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, any information about how to customize the Windows 7 Startup and Shutdown Screens would be appreciated. Not referring to the Logon screen background as I am aware of how to do that. I am referring to the screens when the "Starting Windows" and "Shutting down" message are displayed respectively.

Thank You

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Coder50,

If what you wonder is as well as Bordon says. I don't advise you to do it. 

We know many of you might be asking if you could include your own animation or customize this sequence. This is not something we will support in Windows 7.  We’ve talked about and shown a great many “personalization” elements of Windows 7 already, such as the new themepacks which you can try out in the beta. The reasons for this should be pretty clear, which is that we cannot guarantee the security of the system to allow for arbitrary elements to be loaded into memory at boot time. In the early stages of starting Windows, the system needs to be locked down and execute along a very carefully monitored and known state as tools such as firewalls and anti-virus checking are not yet available to secure the system. And of course, even though we’re sure everyone would follow the requirements around image size, content, etc. due to performance we would not want to build in all the code necessary to guarantee that all third parties would be doing so.

Regards!

<font color="0099FF">&lt;THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED &quot;AS IS&quot; WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED&gt;</font><br/> Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Coder50,

Welcome to MSDN forum!

I'm not sure what you are really wondering. Would you mind to share us a more clearer idea?

Regards!

<font color="0099FF">&lt;THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED &quot;AS IS&quot; WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED&gt;</font><br/> Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:10 AM
  • From my understanding coder50 wants to customize this windows. From what I know it is not easy possible to change this two screens:

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:40 AM
  • Hi Coder50,

If what you wonder is as well as Bordon says. I don't advise you to do it. 

We know many of you might be asking if you could include your own animation or customize this sequence. This is not something we will support in Windows 7.  We’ve talked about and shown a great many “personalization” elements of Windows 7 already, such as the new themepacks which you can try out in the beta. The reasons for this should be pretty clear, which is that we cannot guarantee the security of the system to allow for arbitrary elements to be loaded into memory at boot time. In the early stages of starting Windows, the system needs to be locked down and execute along a very carefully monitored and known state as tools such as firewalls and anti-virus checking are not yet available to secure the system. And of course, even though we’re sure everyone would follow the requirements around image size, content, etc. due to performance we would not want to build in all the code necessary to guarantee that all third parties would be doing so.

Regards!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Yes, those are the screens that I would like to customize. Thank You.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 10:54 PM