how to avoid( Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM Component) RRS feed

• Question

• User-287281261 posted

hi,

i have  create  simple chat application with windows live messenger.I have give reference of

MessengerAPI type Library.then it works.after creating  a setup file with inno software

including interop.MessengerAPI.dll of chatting application(with windows live messenger).Install

that setup on anather machine then following errors are generates. ( Error HRESULT E_FAIL has

been returned from a call to a COM Component).How to avoid or remove this error.?The chatting

is not done in windows live messenger.I have give the anather reference ie,

Interop.MessengerAPI.dll but same errors will be generates.Interop.MessengerAPI.dll it is

supported in windows xp or not?
    Give me
    the suggestion,urls,links.

Thanks,

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:29 AM

Answers

• User-2005691517 posted

I hope you are aware that an interop is a .net assembly that routes calls from a .net application to a COM component. It does not contain the COM component. The COM component must exist on the machine.

In your case I guess the COM component that you are referencing gets installed with windows messenger/live messenger. If it does not exist on the target machine, you'll get the error you are getting.

More on interops

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302338.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:14 PM