none
Using Exchange 2010 Edge server as an SMTP gateway without other roles RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to implement a simple SMTP gateway solution for a few applications to relay emails and hence am not looking at a full fledged Exchange deployment. As SMTP component is no longer available in Windows Server 2012, I would like to know if the Exchange 2010 Edge role can function as a simple SMTP gateway solution without having the other roles of Exchange 2010 deployed like the CAS, Hub and Mailbox ?

My requirements from this SMTP gateway solution would be the ability to append disclaimers, relay restrictions based on IP addresses and sender email addresses, and provide both authenticated and unauthenticated relay access.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi

The Exchange 2010 Edge can be deployed alone without problems.

I did this a few weeks ago at a customer. The Exchange 2010 Edge server on a workgroup server in the DMZ. I didn't even make a Edgesync with the Exchange setup.

I only created all the send / receive connectors to use, they have a lot of VPNs to partners and this Edge is used as a SMTP gateway - works fine. We also need it due to a 3rd party mailencryption software which installs on top of the edge.

BR
    Steen

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:04 PM

All replies

• Hi

The Exchange 2010 Edge can be deployed alone without problems.

I did this a few weeks ago at a customer. The Exchange 2010 Edge server on a workgroup server in the DMZ. I didn't even make a Edgesync with the Exchange setup.

I only created all the send / receive connectors to use, they have a lot of VPNs to partners and this Edge is used as a SMTP gateway - works fine. We also need it due to a 3rd party mailencryption software which installs on top of the edge.

BR
    Steen

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

Adding disclaimer to the emails is a critical requirement for me and I find that this is not supported in Edge 2010 role through transport rules. I find that disclaimers using transport rules is possible on the Hub Transport role. So I am wondering whether can I use the Hub transport rule instead of the Edge transport rule for my initial requirements mentioned above. Will I have any limitation of using the Hub Transport role as a plain SMTP relay solution instead of the Edge transport server ? Any inputs would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:00 AM
  • Hi

Do you have an Exchange organisation installed?

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to do it. You can create all the send and receive connectors you need - so it should work.

BR
    Steen

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:06 PM
  • I don't have an Exchange Organization installed here. So this Hub Transport server would be the only Exchange 2010 role available in the environment and would function like an SMTP replay for application servers.

My requirements would be the ability to append disclaimers, relay restrictions based on IP addresses and sender email addresses, and provide both authenticated and unauthenticated relay access.

So Steen, in your opinion, there should not be any reason for installing Hub Transport as a stand-alone role for the purpose of an SMTP relay ? Would that be correct ?

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:43 AM
  • Hi again

I decided to test the scenario - just for fun, and it seems to work. A strange setup :-)

So you will have to prepare your schema and AD - and create an Exchange organisation.

Then you will have to assign the receive connector(s) AD permission to relay outside the organisation - by default it can only relay internal, but since your mailsystem is "outside" seen from Exchange - you'll need to do that.

Is your AD domain the same as your SMTP namespace? Because then you have to make it external relay after you have removed it from the e-mail address policy :-)

BR
    Steen

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:10 PM