How can I make objects in Access template files editable? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently downloaded some sample/template databases "Services" in particular, and discovered that "Design Mode" seems to be disabled for forms, in particular, as well as tables. 

How can I enable "Design Mode" for objects in these sample/template databases? I like some of the templates, but I want to be able to edit the forms in Design View to better suit my specific needs.

Any help would be welcome!

Thursday, April 5, 2018 5:52 PM

Answers

• Some of the templates are likely Access 2010 web applications. Because the forms are web forms, for reasons of keeping the design compatible with a web browser, you are limited to layout mode.

So you can modify the forms as you please, but you MUST use layout mode. While 2010 web applications are deprecated, you can and are free to use the web application as a desktop only application. And you can add VBA forms and VBA code modules to the existing application. However the existing forms are limited to layout mode for design changes, and you MUST use macro code and no VBA can be used for such forms.

So you are free to use such template applications as desktop only, and as such you not be publishing such applications to 365 or SharePoint.

There is no automated “conversion” of these web forms to regular access forms. You also note that the ribbon shows “web globs” in the design area.

So you are free to modify those forms, but you are limited to layout mode when making changes to such forms.

I would suggest that you likely avoid those web applications, since they are depreciated with Access 2010. I believe 2013 can open and work on such applications, but 2016 likely cannot.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Marked as answer by Didjiman Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:21 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:41 PM
  • The “web globes” I speak of look like this:

And for regular applications, you see this:

You also note in the web ribbon, you see the drop down for "client" forms - they can have full design mode, and also VBA code.

Regards,

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Edited by Albert D. Kallal Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Didjiman Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:28 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just a guess but have you tried exporting the objects into a blank database file?

Just a thought...

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:05 PM
  • I did, but each time I tried to export an object I got an error message that the export had failed. So no luck there. Good suggestion though, but it didn't work out, thanks for the effort. I also tried importing objects from the sample database into a blank database, and that did not work, either.
    • Edited by Didjiman Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:55 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:49 PM
  • Okay, that tells me there may be no way to extract an editable version of the forms out of a template.

However, I would be happy to hear otherwise.

I imagine creating a template is similar to creating a ACCDE file. You can use it; but to modify it, you'll need the original ACCDB file.

Just my 2 cents...

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:58 PM
  • Some of the templates are likely Access 2010 web applications. Because the forms are web forms, for reasons of keeping the design compatible with a web browser, you are limited to layout mode.

So you can modify the forms as you please, but you MUST use layout mode. While 2010 web applications are deprecated, you can and are free to use the web application as a desktop only application. And you can add VBA forms and VBA code modules to the existing application. However the existing forms are limited to layout mode for design changes, and you MUST use macro code and no VBA can be used for such forms.

So you are free to use such template applications as desktop only, and as such you not be publishing such applications to 365 or SharePoint.

There is no automated “conversion” of these web forms to regular access forms. You also note that the ribbon shows “web globs” in the design area.

So you are free to modify those forms, but you are limited to layout mode when making changes to such forms.

I would suggest that you likely avoid those web applications, since they are depreciated with Access 2010. I believe 2013 can open and work on such applications, but 2016 likely cannot.

Regards,
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Marked as answer by Didjiman Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:21 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:41 PM
  • ah, I thought it might be something like that, it is true, Layout view is available, just not Design View. The file extension of the downloaded file is .accdb, so i was rather puzzled. I checked some of the other sample/template databases, and not all of them have Design View disabled, so I was a bit puzzled. I don't recall seeing "Web globs" on any ribbons or drop-down menus, I thought maybe it was a protection option that could be turned on and off. Thank you for the reply, Alber Kallall!
    • Edited by Didjiman Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:22 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

Excellent news! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Thanks to Albert.

Good luck with your project.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:41 PM
  • The “web globes” I speak of look like this:

And for regular applications, you see this:

You also note in the web ribbon, you see the drop down for "client" forms - they can have full design mode, and also VBA code.

Regards,

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Edited by Albert D. Kallal Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Didjiman Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:28 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:54 PM
  • yes that is pretty much exactly what I'm seeing. unfortunately I can't seem to convert the sample into a standard Acces desktop database, at least not with Save As :( Ah well. Such is life. Thanks for your time answering my question Albert!
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:30 PM