Organise controls in web form RRS feed

• Question

• User214117797 posted

How does one go about organising the controls on the web form without the use of deviceSpecific templates?
    I have to develop a WAP site that supports a multitude of handsets and i really do not want to have to create like 4-5 different views of the same form using deviceSpecific templates.

So my problem is how do i organise my controls on the web form? I know I can use a deviceSpecific filter for say isHTML32 then you divs/tables/css, standard HTML controls. Is is possible to to organise controls without doing this?
    Are the table equivalent controls in WML that i can use?

If I am constrained to having to use deviceSpecific templates, can some one advise which deviceFilters I MUST implement in order to cater for the majority of browsers/handets, Nokia, Mobile IE, black berry, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Samsung, LG etc

I have no problems with coding and using the mobile controls, how ever I am really stumped on how I can create a page that has somewhat a template that needs some positional features of tables/divs/css in WML so that most if not all browsers will render it properly.

Thanks
     Jim

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:17 AM

Answers

• User113421904 posted

This looks like a good idea. However I'm not sure about this. Do you have any document on this? I saw this is mentioned in another thread too:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1163578.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 10:21 AM

All replies

• User113421904 posted

Hi Jim,

According to the following excerpt from this MSDN article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hkx121s4.aspx. It might have explained the reason why ASP.NET Mobile Web Forms have device-specific rendering.

Although ASP.NET mobile Web pages can render to a variety of devices automatically, they also provide ways for you to specify content specific to a device or a class of devices. This means that mobile Web pages allow you to customize a page to take advantage of particular features of a device. For example, a common requirement is to render items differently on different devices. ASP.NET handles much of the implicit formatting appropriate for rendering on a variety of device types. However, if needed, you can have ASP.NET render a label using one string on one device and a different string on another device.

For example, table supported in different version of WML are different. You still need to validate your device's capability whether it supports WML elements if you want to have device-specific rendering.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 5:40 AM
  • User214117797 posted

Thanks Zhao.

I understand that ASP.NET have device specific filtering so that I can create templates for say HTML and WML compatible devices, however this is not really the way I want to go as that means having device specific pages which increase maintenance and not having strongly typed controls available during design time/early binding.

I read many articles suggesting the best way to develop mobile content is to use XHTML which is supported by most mobile devices since 2003. How would I go about doing this in Visual Studio 2005?

Would it be feasible to create a single device filter or add a new browser definition so that the rendering type pushed back to the client browser will always be valid XHTML for all types of browsers? If this is valid, how will I go about doing this?

Thanks
    Jim

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 7:30 AM
  • User113421904 posted

This looks like a good idea. However I'm not sure about this. Do you have any document on this? I saw this is mentioned in another thread too:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1163578.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 10:21 AM
  • User214117797 posted

Thanks Zhao but the link you supplied is actually do another thread I created where i am still waiting for some one to suggest how to accomplish this. 

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:29 AM