Silverlight Website RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, how to create a flashy website with full of Silverlight without html content? Got any website or example that guide how to do that? thanks

Friday, February 27, 2009 11:01 AM

Answers

• Hi! You have to have an HTML or ASPX page [ORANGE] for the Silverlight control [LIGHT_BLUE] to be held in. If you want a website that uses 100% of the width and the height of the web browser's screen, just set the control host and Silverlight initialization settings accordingly; while also making sure that you don't hard code a width and height for the top-level controls of your application.

Inside of your new application, you'll begin with a Grid named LayoutRoot. Create another Grid inside of LayoutRoot, named DisplayContent. Then, you can use HyperLinkButtons as a menu above the DisplayContent to move between "pages." The pages can be separate content xaml files (User Controls) that you have included in your project. Then, all you need to do is respond to the Clicked event of the HyperLinkButtons. Clear the content out of DisplayContent, and add a new page object.

pageTransition.Begin is a Storyboard that you can play each time a page is clicked to make the transition between pages more interesting. If you are a beginner to programming or Silverlight, then I would wait with the transitions, because they can (and should) be added after you have a grasp of what you're doing.

Everything I said above can (and should) be implemented in Microsoft's Expression Blend 2 -- just be sure to get the service pack for it so you can have support for Silverlight 2. Blend is totally awesome for beginners to produce content quickly.

There really are a million ways to create a website, and this is the simplest one that I can think of at 3:30AM. :)

Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:33 AM

All replies

• Can you explain a little bit about your technical background? That might be important before explaining lots of things you already know for example.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:14 AM
  • If you don't use any database or webservices you can create it with XAML en code behind if you like. The storyboard could help you with the animations. Take a look at the layout in the "get started" section.

greetz,

Acid

Friday, February 27, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Hi! You have to have an HTML or ASPX page [ORANGE] for the Silverlight control [LIGHT_BLUE] to be held in. If you want a website that uses 100% of the width and the height of the web browser's screen, just set the control host and Silverlight initialization settings accordingly; while also making sure that you don't hard code a width and height for the top-level controls of your application.

Inside of your new application, you'll begin with a Grid named LayoutRoot. Create another Grid inside of LayoutRoot, named DisplayContent. Then, you can use HyperLinkButtons as a menu above the DisplayContent to move between "pages." The pages can be separate content xaml files (User Controls) that you have included in your project. Then, all you need to do is respond to the Clicked event of the HyperLinkButtons. Clear the content out of DisplayContent, and add a new page object.

pageTransition.Begin is a Storyboard that you can play each time a page is clicked to make the transition between pages more interesting. If you are a beginner to programming or Silverlight, then I would wait with the transitions, because they can (and should) be added after you have a grasp of what you're doing.

Everything I said above can (and should) be implemented in Microsoft's Expression Blend 2 -- just be sure to get the service pack for it so you can have support for Silverlight 2. Blend is totally awesome for beginners to produce content quickly.

There really are a million ways to create a website, and this is the simplest one that I can think of at 3:30AM. :)

Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:33 AM
  •  you could check out the learn section of this website to see some video examples.

also, there are some helpful walkthroughs on www.nibblestutorials.net

here are some cool sites created entirely in silverlight:

http://www.medialunacafe.com.br/
    http://www.connectiongroup.de/
    http://www.thomas-wilmes.de/

Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:35 AM