PerformancePoint Dashboards - How Can I Create A Simple Grid Like Queue That Shows Data From A Table RRS feed

• Question

• I thought that Dashboard Designer in PerformancePOint was the answer to what I'mn trying to do but now after getting the designer to work I'm not so sure.  I'm tyring to implement what is effectively a live monitor that shows data from a view in a SQL Server DB. 

This view shows Data from a custom queue in our database.  This queue shows the requests made (since the table was last purged of requests) along with the current status of the request as well as othe rmetrics like duration.  Currently I get this info via Query Analyzer in SSMS but I really want to make the info avaiable to our users so that they can check the request queue themselves and see where in the queue their items are and what has processed and so on. 

Wehn I look at Dasboard Designer I can not see how you can get a Dashboars to do this without using a report from something else like Reporting Services.  If I have to do that then why bother with the dashboard when I could just use SQL Server Reporting Services?    I want whart would effectively be an intercative/live Report that is auto-refreshed on a timer value and rgar can ideally be filtered by the user.  Can a PerformancePoint  Dashboard do that?

• Edited by YSLGuru Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:36 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:25 PM

Answers

• Based on what you described it does appear that PerformancePoint Services may not be the best choice for what you are looking to accomplish.  The built-in data charts and grids are geared towards hitting a cube and not a relational table directly and therefore you would need to either use Excel Services or Reporting Services to accomplish this.  If this is your only analysis you are pushing out then using PerformancePointe Services along with Excel or Reporting Services probably does not make sense.  If, however, you are looking to combine this data with a lot of other pieces of data and have things liked linked filters that change them all at once, then PerformancePoint Services still may be the right idea.

Alan

My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com and My Tweets @ http://www.twitter.com/alanwhitehouse

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, June 22, 2012 6:24 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 2:19 PM