Tablet Slow and crashes after installing Consumer Preview RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading from the Dev preview to the Consumer preview most of the Metro apps no longer work. The majority will hang at the start screen and crash or they will load but run slowly and eventually crash.

I was unable to upgrade from the link on the preview website. It said it was unable to download. I instead downloaded the iso image from the connect site and installed from the ISO.

After installing I ran Windows update and applied updates to several drivers. I think there where around 4 in all. I am running build 8250.

I have seen problems with almost all of the apps including:

• Calander - slow loading, crashes
    • People - slow loading, problems connection to facebook, crashing
    • Mail - slow loading crashes
    • Weather - slow loading, hangs, crashes
    • msnbc - dies at start screen
    • music - dies at start screen
    • Store - slow loading, getting messages like Windows store is not availible

I have been getting a number of errors including:

• Problem with Live Communications Service
    • Runtime Broker has stopped working

Overall seems like a huge regression from the dev preview. Anyone else having issues?

JC

Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:28 PM

Answers

• I gave up on installing from ISO images and, instead, did a clean install from the web and what a difference!   This version is smooth and - so far - working well.  Restored all my sync settings from the web

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

Travelguy

• Marked as answer by jciliberti Friday, March 2, 2012 2:26 AM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:59 PM

All replies

• same for me; took 3 tries (last one saying setup as new user rather than migrate user setting) to even get a decent system but still incredibly slow with frequent crashes.

Travelguy

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:00 PM
  • One thing I have been noticing is that if all the metro app refuse to load, go to desktop view and many times you will see the error box stating that the Runtime broker has stopped working. It seems to block the broker from restarting until you clear it.

I have also had two blue screens. One while running Windows update and another while playing "cut the rope". That seems to be the only app that works but it does not seem to run at full speed.

JC

Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:00 PM
  • I have had no problems after upgrade, did a inplace upgrade as described in the documentation on the build connect site.
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I gave up on installing from ISO images and, instead, did a clean install from the web and what a difference!   This version is smooth and - so far - working well.  Restored all my sync settings from the web

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

Travelguy

• Marked as answer by jciliberti Friday, March 2, 2012 2:26 AM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:59 PM
  • I tried again from the web and got a bluescreen. After rebooting I tried again and it seems like it working so far.

Download is currently at 8%. If it finishes, I will try again with a fresh install from the website and see how it goes.

JC

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:08 AM
  • I did a reinstall from the web and now everything seems rights as rain. Fast and fluid :-).

Anyway sent them enough error logs and crash dumps from the bad install that will hopefully help them figue out why my first install was so terrible.

Thanks

JC

Friday, March 2, 2012 2:31 AM
  • I am trying this solutions right now on Samsung Slate PC 7. Will keep you posted. I sent 2GB of error logs as well :)

EDIT: Thanks Travelguy, this solved all my issues as well!

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:28 PM