none
We Need Your Feedback! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Like all product units at Microsoft, we are very interested in your feedback as we plan our next release of Commerce Server.
    One of the key themes for our next release is to provide a single, unified setup experience. In order to best do that, we need to optimize which platforms are supported.

Our current proposal for the next release is to support and optimize for the following:

1) Operating system:
    The next version of Commerce Server will support Windows Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2, and only the 64-bit version.   By doing this, Commerce Server gains the benefits of 64-bit performance, and keeps up to date with Windows Server releases: Windows Server 2008 R2 and all future versions of server software will be 64-bit only.  One change we’re proposing will be to drop support for Windows Server 2003, which is moving out of primary support and into extended support in July 2010.  By choosing Windows Server 2008, we can also choose to support IIS 7 exclusively, and get the benefits of IIS 7 integrated mode.

2) SQL Server: 
    The next version of Commerce Server will support SQL Server 2008 only, plus pre-release testing for the next version of SQL.   As with the proposed OS support, we’d like to focus on the most current and next releases of SQL Server.  This does mean dropping SQL Server 2005 as a supported database platform.

3) SharePoint:
    SharePoint 2007 (both MOSS 2007 and WSS 3) will be supported and we also plan to support the next version of SharePoint. 

4) BizTalk:
    The BizTalk adapters are not changing, and they will be tested for compatibility with the upcoming BizTalk 2009 release.

5) Dev tools and platforms:
    Visual Studio 2008 SP1 will continue to be supported (as it was with CS2009) and we’ll add support for the next version of Visual Studio as well.  We are also looking at supporting Windows 7 and/or Vista x64 as a development platform.

We value your feedback - please let us know what you think of our platform proposal for the next release of Commerce Server.

Thank you,
    The Commerce Server Product Team

Monday, April 6, 2009 4:22 PM

All replies

• I think its great, while i'm still not the major fan of sharepoint that other are. As long as ASP.NET is still supported. What is the timeframe? and what is the plan for the newest .NET versions?

Monday, April 6, 2009 6:11 PM
  • What benefits will CS see in regards to requiring Server 2008 and Sql 2008?
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:25 PM
  • The requirements don't create an issues with current clients and will provide a little more consistency in implementations in the future.

I'm not sure it makes a difference to create the development support on Vista x64 or Windows 7 as that idea has been problematic in the past with previous XP support. A VM or Server built with the required OS keeps things more inline with integration, stage and production environments.

Any additional support or plans for the Cloud?
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:38 PM
  • What benefits will CS see in regards to requiring Server 2008 and Sql 2008?

The benefits will be huge as CS is more optimzed for SQL 2000 features. SQL 2008 (and 2005 as well) brings a lot of powerfull features like:
     - The hierarchy or geography (with the geospatial index) data type.
     - The Common Table Expression (very powerfull for recursive query)
     - The data compression
     - The XML native support
     - CLR integration
     - The SSIS and SSRS for the warehouse

I'm really looking forward for these improvments (x64, SQL 2008, Windows 2008,...) to push the limit and the performance on the top.

If you compare with SharePoint, the improvments between the 2003 and the 2007 versions will increase the product a lot and SharePoint is becoming one of the main Microsoft product with a large community. Why not with CS?

Like Mark, I'm curious about the Cloud, we have now SharePoint, .Net and SQL, so not so far from CS :)

http://gaelduhamel.spaces.live.com/
    Monday, April 6, 2009 11:47 PM
  • ASP.NET is still supported

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Hello:

Thanks for this opportunity to give some feedback.  Could someone explain what one would consider a "unified setup experience?"  I understand that the CS team has been trying to make customers hit the ground running with CS (by providing starterkits, default sites, even administration tools).  As next generations come out the process of "getting a site up and going" becomes easier .... in theory.  With CS 2009, the default site specifically, is advertised to be "commercial ready" ... which is great since my customer basically wants a site up and running within 2 months.  But, the steps to actually customize the default site ... were rather lacking and broad.  So, i'm curious about how MS plains on an "unified setup experience."  What does that mean.

Thanks,
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:25 PM
  • it means single installer versus multiple (install 07, then 09, then Template Pack + IPPE)

Cheers
    Lynnette
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Hi Lynette,
    I have been expecting this so there are no surpises here. I have some concerns as far as training and proof of concept creation is concerned, since this raises the bar somewhat. The other concern is that 64 bit support for third party software which has been patchy at best. But in summary, I would make a similar decision, I think if you signal the direction early enough as you have done, this will not affect acceptance significantly. It would also be helpful if you could signal early which level of dot.net will be supported 3.5 or only 4.0.
    Regards
    Glen (Software) Smith
    http://www.software-smith.com
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Ok, I have another thing. With the next version can we do something to allow us to extend the discount engine. Perhaps a modular based engine allowing us to create our own. (Just a thought).

Monday, April 13, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Hi

Here are our recommandations:

1) Friendly, SEO friendly URLs in Sharepoint

2) Abitlity to create products and variants through Sahrepoint

Our clients are les and less prone on using other tools to modify products. Inline tool is great but does not let them create variants and relationships

3) Direct Mailer update

The direct mailer is seriously lacking. It does not support sender id and is a simple smtp interface

4) Custom Data types or lookup for products

Products cannot have properties that lookup values to profiles or external data sources. An example would be brands. If a company manages 1000's of products with overs 100 brands, there is no way to have simple dropdowns for brands if they are stored in a profile object let's say.

5) Serious revision of the data warehouse reports

They need a serious revision. They do not include total, recent browsers.

Friday, April 24, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Recommendations?  I have three:

1.  Better documentation, better sample code, better tutorials.
    2.  Better documentation, better sample code, better tutorials.
    3.  Better documentation, better sample code, better tutorials.

Thanks!
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:06 AM
  • Ok, one more thing, and I promise i'll stop.

In a review of the pipeline, I can't see any real reason to keep a pipeline. Can't the same logic be handled through sequence components. It will give us more modular capability, and increased integration options.

Just a thought....
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Perhaps better use of dependency injection (Unity) in the web parts.  I would like to be able to write my own CatalogController and have all the existing webparts use my catalogcontroller instead of the default or even a presenter.  My current concern is if the base webparts are patched/updated, then anything I created off of the source will need to get updates also (if necessary) and managing that whole thing seems like a pain.  Maybe I'm the only one with this concern

Jason

Friday, May 1, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Maybe create a unit test solution for commerce server which will go through all the functional uses.  That would help furthur develop the app and also show proper usage.  I know unit testing would have found the bug in GetFTSQuery
    Monday, May 4, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Drag and drop (Cut & Paste) facilty in category tree will be nice feature for Catalog Manager

Regards
    Mujeeb

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:55 AM
  • The catalog manager should be deprecated! The tool has a windows 3.1 interface, requires tens of clicks for the most simple changes.. the tool should be rebuild in either web-form or better windows tools
    Friday, May 22, 2009 12:58 PM
  • In many cases data entry/ data review need to use system which are connected to internet but can't install Business User Applications. A web version of Catalog system is a good to have feature.

Note: Web Based Catalog Manager for CS 2007 is available in codeplex

Regards
    Mujeeb
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Hi Lynnette,

We are in the process of choosing an ecommerce solution, we hesitate between ecommerce and kentico solution.

I m trying to get the VPC version mentioned here :
    http://blogs.msdn.com/commerce/archive/2009/04/28/commerce-server-2009-evaluation-virtual-pc-vpc-for-april-2009-is-now-available-for-download-on-microsoft-connect.aspx

But couldn't get it.

I would be happy to share feedback with you if I can test it.

Thanks

Simplicity is the supreme sophistication.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:34 AM
  • Would love to see a tutorial on extending an item in the extensibility kit, focusing on how to sign and deploy to a production server.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Does anyone by any chance have the password for the Evaluation CS 2009 VPC?

Was it p@ssword1?

Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:06 AM
  • VPC's pass is: pass@word1
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I agree 100%. It's tough to find anything.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Starter Site
    The contemporary site is a good starting point... However, ecommerce sites rarely have a single column of results. It is 100% better than any of the starter sites previously but still has a lot of room to improve.... For instance the big drop Down menus that have many links available on the top navigation

Deployment
    1. The documentation should be broken out into seperate docs for silent / scripted, wizard driven and manual.... 
    2. Now that we are using SharePoint as the application platform, the deployment methodology should follow SharePoint best practices and that all deployment of features and their configuration are deployed using solutions... 
    3. The Standard SharePoint deployment locations should apply, WebServices and controls should go under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS this makes them available as an excluded path EXAMPLE> http://sitename/_layouts/CatalogWebService...
    4. When creating the contemporary default and extended site use an event reciever to change the login page to the correct page for authentication.
    5. The encrypyion keyPair since you know you are going to change the profile web.config and not create another instance of the keys modify the web.config
    6. Store Locator - I understand that you dont know if the site is for staging or production but a simple check box would work the deployment should modify the Commerce server en_PresentationInfo.xml file....
    7. Buiness User tools should not require configuration, they should be able to point at the ecommerce site http://site and configure themselves....

I have been using Commerce Server since the beginning days of .net during the .com phase in the late 90s, the product has improved and is much easier to deploy, manage and use.... But dont stop, the stuff I entioned is relatively simple and if I had 3 > 4 ecommerce projects i would make the modifications and post them on codeplex... I have one fairly large deployment and as time permits I will probably make them available anyway....

Cheers,

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders http://www.linkedin.com/in/iasanders http://dimension-si.com/blog
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:59 PM
  • I'm currently working with the Catalog search FullTextSearchPhrase and I think i've found the bug in GetFTSQuery that you mention. Is there a fix or workaround for this?

Thanks
    Friday, December 18, 2009 1:00 AM