none
MSDN Virtual Machine question RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to ask about the licence implications associated with MSDN subscriptions - 

Myself and my colleagues are all MSDN licenced.  I have Premium licence - some of my colleagues have Professional licence.

I faced a challenge in documenting the build dependencies for the product we are working on as part of a project to migrate the version of the .net framework it was built with.

To accomplish this I created a virtual PC on my machine using the Virtual PC functionality, and installed the Windows 7 from my MSDN.  I installed the build dependencies and got it to build.

So far I believe I am within the terms of the MSDN licence.

This is where it gets a bit murky.  I needed some code / files from a colleagues machine, so I created a network share on the virtual PC, and got my colleague to copy their files in there.

Now they happen to be licensed as a MSDN Professional.

My question therefore would be : would that be in violation of the licence?

Monday, September 1, 2014 8:11 AM

Answers

• ComputaMike,

My answers regarding licensing questions always come with caveats, and I'll just copy my most recent one from hereI'm not your lawyer, and you need one to fully interpret this for you to see what they think you can defend in the event that Microsoft were to sue you, and in that event, you and I would be on opposite sides of a legal dispute.  There is no such thing as a "but Mike Kinsman said" defense :)  What counts here is what the documentation says, not what I say.  I'm going to use intentionally inconclusive language below and you'll need to reach your own conclusions.  

The second thing I should say here is that the Visual Studio and MSDN Licensing Whitepaper is the authoritative source on what can and cannot be done with MSDN software.  Though it is long, it might be more worth your time to search through it than go back and forth with me while I try to figure out exactly what your setup is and what the concern is.  That said, lets go for it.

You seem to be concerned about a colleague accessing a network share that you created on a virtual machine using MSDN Software, and you're saying that that colleague is licensed with an MSDN Professional Subscription.

What part of that concerns you?  Is it that its a virtual machine?  Is it that its someone else accessing your share?  or?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support

• Marked as answer by ComputaMike Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:39 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:28 PM
  • Haven't received a response to this ComputaMike so I'm marking this as answered.  If you come back, please unmark as answered and provide us an update!

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:03 PM

All replies

• ComputaMike,

My answers regarding licensing questions always come with caveats, and I'll just copy my most recent one from hereI'm not your lawyer, and you need one to fully interpret this for you to see what they think you can defend in the event that Microsoft were to sue you, and in that event, you and I would be on opposite sides of a legal dispute.  There is no such thing as a "but Mike Kinsman said" defense :)  What counts here is what the documentation says, not what I say.  I'm going to use intentionally inconclusive language below and you'll need to reach your own conclusions.  

The second thing I should say here is that the Visual Studio and MSDN Licensing Whitepaper is the authoritative source on what can and cannot be done with MSDN software.  Though it is long, it might be more worth your time to search through it than go back and forth with me while I try to figure out exactly what your setup is and what the concern is.  That said, lets go for it.

You seem to be concerned about a colleague accessing a network share that you created on a virtual machine using MSDN Software, and you're saying that that colleague is licensed with an MSDN Professional Subscription.

What part of that concerns you?  Is it that its a virtual machine?  Is it that its someone else accessing your share?  or?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Marked as answer by ComputaMike Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:39 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:28 PM
  • Haven't received a response to this ComputaMike so I'm marking this as answered.  If you come back, please unmark as answered and provide us an update!

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:03 PM
  • It was relating to a colleague, licensed under a different MSDN level accessing a virtual machine I set up on my machine.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:39 AM