Publishing Feature in WSS 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been looking for information on Content Deployment in the new Sharepoint products.

We are looking to have an intranet MOSS server and a WSS 3.0 internet server.

Is it possible to deploy basic content from a MOSS server (doc libraries) to a WSS 3.0 server? I cannot find a direct answer to this.

I know that publishing is a MOSS-only feature, but do you require publishing to recieve content, or only push?

Is is possible to enable some feature in order to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I understand that this may sound like a stupid question.

Regards,
       Michael

Friday, March 2, 2007 3:54 AM

Answers

• There is no built-in method of transfering content from a MOSS farm to a WSS 3.0 "farm". For licensing reasons (which I presume is why you have WSS 3.0 for the Internet) the two farms must be separate.

You can arrange for content to be copied across at intervals or you can create code that intercepts an upload of a document to a document library and write code that posts a copy to the MOSS doc lib and a copy to the WSS doc library.

That's the sort of thing you need to do. Your savings on using WSS 3.0 for the Internet don't come at a zero cost.
    • Proposed as answer by Jeff DeVerter Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, February 9, 2009 1:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:01 PM

All replies

• Why is that you want to use two different versions of SharePoint? MOSS and WSS?

You can right web services to move content from MOSS lib to WSS lib.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:47 PM
  • There is no built-in method of transfering content from a MOSS farm to a WSS 3.0 "farm". For licensing reasons (which I presume is why you have WSS 3.0 for the Internet) the two farms must be separate.

You can arrange for content to be copied across at intervals or you can create code that intercepts an upload of a document to a document library and write code that posts a copy to the MOSS doc lib and a copy to the WSS doc library.

That's the sort of thing you need to do. Your savings on using WSS 3.0 for the Internet don't come at a zero cost.
    • Proposed as answer by Jeff DeVerter Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, February 9, 2009 1:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:01 PM