none
Present On Admission (POA) Extraction From 837I RRS feed

• Question

•  

All:

I was wondering if anyone has yet made an attempt to extract the POA information from an 837I HIPAA file.  The way the data is held in the K3 segment does not lend itself to easy extraction.  If anyone has had luck in attempting this, I would be very interested to hear how it was accomplished.  I have a couple ideas, none of which are very straightforward.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:41 AM

Answers

• I would use five string extract functoids, each one extracting one character further along the string.  You could then test that your output was not equal to Z using a value mapping functoid, and fill your target schema accordingly.  Alternatively, you could just stuff the whole string into your target schema, and process it later using some other means.

JT

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:36 PM

All replies

•  

Please allow me to elaborate a bit.  The K3 segment in the 837I EDI X12 file simply contains a string of characters that would look similar to this:

K3*POAYYNY1Z*

And I have a target schema in my map that looks something like this:

Diagnosis1

Diagnosis2

Diagnosis3

Diagnosis4

Diagnosis5

The first 3 characters in the K3 segment can be ignored as these will always be "POA".  The remaining characters each correspond to a diagnosis, for example the first "Y" corresponds to Diagnosis1, the second "Y" to Diagnosis2, the "N" to Diagnosis3, the next "Y" to Diagnosis4, and the "1" to Diagnosis5.  The remaining "Z" simply means that we have reached the end.

So... the question is, what is a good way to parse out each character in the segment, starting after the "POA" and ending before the "Z" and insert them into thier corresponding schema nodes in my map using Biztalk 2006r2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:55 PM
  • I dont have the list of functoids top of my head. If existing functoids dont suffice, then a custom functoid parsing the string field and looping on destination element list shd help.

Lets see if any HIPAA implementors on the forum already did this.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Also you could try Biztalk forum since this is a generic mapping issue and you may find more map users on that forum

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:13 AM
  • I would use five string extract functoids, each one extracting one character further along the string.  You could then test that your output was not equal to Z using a value mapping functoid, and fill your target schema accordingly.  Alternatively, you could just stuff the whole string into your target schema, and process it later using some other means.

JT

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Thank you all for your answers.  In the end, the data gets send through a SQL Send Port and is inserted into tables via stored procedres.  I am passing the the POA string into the stored proc as a single string and then breaking it up and inserting from within in the stored procedure.  This appears to be working quite well.

Thanks again for your help.

Aaron

Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:45 PM
  • John,

I need to get in touch with you regarding an other problem that I think you've experianced, regarding problems when upgrading pipeline components from 2004 to 2006.

I belive this post where written by you: http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/BizTalk/microsoft.public.biztalk.general/2006-12/msg00469.html

You seam to be the only person (exept me) to have experianced this, did you ever come to a conclution?

PLEASE, reach me at wmmihaa [at] hotmail [dot] com

//Mikael

Monday, November 17, 2008 10:34 AM