What causes a mde to not work in 2003 but to work in 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have an A2000 front-end mde that I packaged in A2002 and install with the A2002 runtime.  On most computers I install it on (both XP & Win7) it works fine.  A few new workstations running Win7 (x64) were unhappy with it and returned lots of errors during use (it loaded but didn't function smoothly). Errors included the ubiqutous "On Click" and some permissions errors.
    I found a solution by installing the A2010 runtime and running the front-end through it.  No more errors.
    Why would this work? What would cause a mde to not work in 2002 but to work fine in 2010?
    /Joe
    • Edited by Model_m Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:43 AM fixed details
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Model_m,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please reproduce your issue via create a simple mde file to share with us for trouble shooting?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:57 AM
  • Tom,

I can't share a file with the problem for the following reasons:

1) I don't know where in the 50MB file the problem is. So I don't know, without a lot of testing, what to remove so as to duplicate the problem. (I will also talk to our head developer to see if she can duplicate the problem in a simple file but I'm not hopeful.)

2) This problem only happens on 3 workstations out of 30 and I don't have this problem on any of my office test machines.

3) The problematic workstations are at one of my clients and with the program currently working in A2010, I can't justify taking up their time to deeply examine the problem.

As such, I'm looking for ideas of what could cause this and directions that I should start looking.  Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you for your help,

Joe

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Do the users have multiple versions of any Office products on their machine? Are they running with UAC turned on? It might be the problem Allen Browne outlines in http://www.allenbrowne.com/bug-17.html

Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele (no e-mails, please!)
    Co-author Access Solutions — Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs (ISBN 978-0-470-59168-0)

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:01 PM