TFS Express 2017 Update 2 Giving Error 503 Suddenly.

Question

• Hello,

I suspect that this may be related to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  I cannot say or sure but it would have been around that time that this began.  I have been running TFS Express for some time with no issues and now out of the blue,  am getting Error 503 via the browser (any browser) and within the Visual Studio IDE.  I verified that everything was fine with SQL and when I looked at IIS, I noticed that the app pool was stopped.  I started it and it shut down once again as soon as I tried to access TFS.  I checked the Windows App Event Log and found the following error logged four times each time I get the above error:

Event ID: 2307 Source: IIS-W3SVC-WP

The worker process for application pool 'Microsoft Team Foundation Server Application Pool' encountered an error 'Cannot read configuration file
    ' trying to read configuration data from file '\\?\<EMPTY>', line number '0'.  The data field contains the error code.

I uninstalled TFS Express and reinstalled and the same thing happened even though install was flawless.

I uninstalled and reinstalled IIS and the result was the same.  

I uninstalled both and deleted any trace of TFS and re-installed and the result was the same.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

sorry that you are having difficulties with TFS. You are 100% correct. This issue was caused by Window 10 Fall Creators Update.

The fix is easy:
    1) Delete all symbolic links from C:\inetpub\temp\appPools folder.
    2) Open IIS manager (inetmgr) and restart TFS application pools. You can also just execute iisreset from the elevated command prompt or reboot machine.

Thanks,

--Vladimir

• Marked as answer by MikeWebster71 Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:22 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

sorry that you are having difficulties with TFS. You are 100% correct. This issue was caused by Window 10 Fall Creators Update.

The fix is easy:
    1) Delete all symbolic links from C:\inetpub\temp\appPools folder.
    2) Open IIS manager (inetmgr) and restart TFS application pools. You can also just execute iisreset from the elevated command prompt or reboot machine.

Thanks,

--Vladimir

• Marked as answer by MikeWebster71 Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:22 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Vladimir,  You are a life-saver.  That worked perfectly.  thank-you very much.

Mike

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Mike,
    I am glad that I could help. Thanks for the kind words!
    Regards,
    --Vladimir

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:12 PM