none
Visio 2013 keeps disconnecting shapes by adding the section N='Connection' with rows containing the Del='1' flag for some connection points after a conversion to .vsdx RRS feed

• Question

• The disconnection occurs only on connections points where there's either an inward or outward connection made by a line with an arrow at the end. If no connection is present the connection points are not removed (Del='1').

In the following image, we can see the disconnection at the end of the arrow; normally the "Endx" of the arrow should also be a small green circle.

http://i.imgur.com/CJ6rYwb.png

If I select the connection point tool I can see that most connection points have disappeared from the shape (where there is a connection)

http://i.imgur.com/GSvaNXT.png

When I edit the .vsdx and set the Del flag to '0' the connection points are back

http://i.imgur.com/Dat1VBq.png

Putting aside the issue where the parts would get disconnected I'd like to understand the following:

• Why does Visio 2013 xml section that is added by Visio 2013. Normally the shape would inherits its properties from the "MasterShape" and this "Connection" section wouldn't even exist.

<Section N='Connection'>
    						<Row N='InputStream' LocalName='cp_20100810102912820' Del='1'/>
    						<Row N='OutputStream' LocalName='cp_20100810102912822' Del='1'/>
    					</Section>

• When does Visio 2013 adds this flag? (drawing open, save, closing)

Note that if I edit the .vsdx file (.../visio/pages/page1.xml) and replace "Del='1'" with "Del='0'" the connections are restored.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:45 PM

All replies

• Hi JP from Brossard,

you had mentioned that this issue occurs after converting the file to .vsdx.

which file you convert to .vsdx?

it is possible that when you convert the file this issue can be occur.

can you try to check by creating a new file for testing purpose?

so that we can verify whether issue can be reproduce by the new file or not.

I try to check on my side and it not disconnecting the shape.

for more information you can visit links below.

Add, move, or delete connection points

Add connectors between shapes in Visio

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 1:23 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Thank you for your insight.

I should've mentioned that this issue is kind of intermittent, some people have it others don't. That's why I don't think it really matters from what file format we are doing the conversion because we can make it work.

Anyhow, to answer your first question and I think it also answers your 2nd and 3rd question, we start from a Visio 2010 .vdx file and convert it to a Vsio 2013 .vsdx file (new file) programmatically as per the following documentation:

using System.IO.Packaging;

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj649391.aspx

------------

I visited the 2 links you provided and can say for sure that they don't help unveiling the mystery behind the "Del='1'" connection point attribute.

Really by posting here, my objective here is to understand how this Del='1' attribute works in Visio 2013, again:

Why does Visio 2013 xml section "Connection" is added?
        When does Visio 2013 adds this flag? (drawing open, save, closing)

Per MSDN documentation of Row element (Connection Section) ('Visio XML'):

Attribute
        Type    Required    Description    Possible values
    Del    xsd:boolean    optional    Specifies whether a row that would otherwise be inherited from a master shape has been deleted.    Values of the xsd:boolean type.

Facts (using the same drawing file as assumption)

On computer A,B,C they have the disconnection issue
        On computer D,E and virtual machine D there's no disconnection issue

Regards,

-JP

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Hi JP from Brossard,

I try to find the documentation , which shows the information why  does Visio 2013 xml section "Connection" is added? and When does Visio 2013 adds this flag? (drawing open, save, closing)

but unfortunately , currently no any document or link available that contains this information.

so currently i am not able to verify this information.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:27 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Thanks for the update; I didn't find any documentation from Microsoft either. I tried to look into the Microsoft Visio 2013 sdk documentation but didn't find anything yet.

I am providing the link to the sdk for convenience here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=36825

Regards,

-JP

Regards, -JP

• Edited by JP from Brossard Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:20 PM removed html in internet explorer
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hi JP from Brossard,

if you think that this information should be added to the documentation then I suggest you to submit your feedback to Visio User Voice.

Welcome to Visio Suggestion Box!

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Thanks for the suggestion; I filled-out a suggestion please add your vote!

https://visio.uservoice.com/forums/368205-visio-for-developers/suggestions/20591119-add-detailed-documentation-on-visio-2013-del-1-c

Regards, -JP

Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:35 PM