none
Map network drive as a Windows Share RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a network drive, that is in its nature an SSH accessed directory on Linux machine. Now I need to make a Windows Share on it. Any help would be appreciated. Regards, DI
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

• Hi alamandra:

You may want to post your question to following forum, which is more appropriate to your problem

File Services and Storage

The forum mentioned above is one of the many forums dedicated to discussion of Windows server features. You may also want to browse this and other forums as there is a possibility that someone has already posted a solution to a problem like yours.

To clarify my earlier postings, the appropriate questions for this forum would be on topics like “What message to send to a client if I am writing a program that acts like a Windows share file server”. This forum is dedicated to helping developers who use Open Protocol Specification documents to write programs implementing various Microsoft protocols.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:28 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Alamandra:
    Please provide more details about your questions, e.g.

1. Operating system of the server (machine where share needs to be created)
    2. Operating system of the client (machine where share will be accessed as a mapped network dirve)
    3. Any other information that you think will help us answer your question.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:52 PM
    Owner
  • I mapped the drive under Windows Server 2008 x64. Under same machine I need to create a share with RW rights  mapped to drive's subfolder. Within same machine I will also access the share. Regards, Dawid Ireno
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Hi alamandra:
    This forum provides support for documentation and interoperability questions on open specifications.

The Open Protocol Specifications can be found at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350.aspx.

Your request does not appear to be related to the Open Protocols Specifications documentation set.
    You may want to check out the following resources to find an answer to your question:

To create a share on a Linux machine:
    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

To create a share on a Windows machine:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301281

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:19 PM
    Owner
  • Obaid you must be joking posting such trash as an answer! How dare you trying to score answer points on your nonintelectual efforts?! Is this a joke Obaid? I bet you exactly know what my problem is! I would have considered Samba if the file server admin allowed it to be used. Your link on he other hand about Windows machine shares contains exactly no answer to the stated problem, don't forward random google hits. Stop posting your thash under this thread.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Hi alamandra:

As stated before, this forum is dedicated to the discussion of issues related to Open Protocol Specification documentation.  You can access Open Protocol Specification Documents at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350(PROT.10).aspx

Your question does not appear to be related to Open Protocol Specification Documentation.

If you feel that your question is about an Open Protocol Specification Document, please provide us the name of the document and the document section that you are having problem with and we will be glad to help you.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:28 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you Obaid. Now I hope someone will be able to help me with given problem no matter how much Windows Share is an Open Protocol. Regards, Dawid Ireno
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Hi alamandra:

You may want to post your question to following forum, which is more appropriate to your problem

File Services and Storage

The forum mentioned above is one of the many forums dedicated to discussion of Windows server features. You may also want to browse this and other forums as there is a possibility that someone has already posted a solution to a problem like yours.

To clarify my earlier postings, the appropriate questions for this forum would be on topics like “What message to send to a client if I am writing a program that acts like a Windows share file server”. This forum is dedicated to helping developers who use Open Protocol Specification documents to write programs implementing various Microsoft protocols.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:28 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you, now I can say this might be helpful for me.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:37 PM