none
Activesync Provisioning - Max Attachment Size Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had a question about the Activesync WBXML primer, with regards to the 'MaxAttachmentSize' dictated under the Provision codepage. I've seen conflicting details regarding what this tag means. Does it mean:

1) The max file size of an attachment that a device is permitted to download?

or

2) The max file size of an attachment that a device will automatically download (meaning you are still allowed to manually download files larger than that)?

If the first, I was wondering if this policy if self-enforced by the device when it receives this tag in the provisioning response, or if the Exchange server itself is the one enforcing this policy if set, regardless of if the device receives this tag.

Thank you!

Saturday, April 5, 2014 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi

ActiveSync policy doesn't have an option to limit size of email sending and downloading, it is not practical to push the mailbox policies to mobile devices of difference brands and software versions in them since their design/functionality is different from each others.

when the mobile clients try to send too large emails, Exchange CAS server will respond with error code 500 or 507 (based on the request details from different mobiles). The related setting exists in web.config file (C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Sync\web.config) on Exchange CAS server which can be limited according to our needs

modify the 2 paramaters and enter the value you want to limit 

<add key="MaxDocumentDataSize" value="type the value you need"></add>

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="type the value you need"/>

Note: Ensure to take a backup of web.config file before you make above changes

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:53 AM
  • Hmm, I'm referring to this document:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee160816%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

Where under section 2.1.2.1.15 Code Page 14: Provision there is an XML tag for 'MaxAttachmentSize.' It seems weird to be sending this to the device if everything is server-side.

Also, in my first question, do you know if this tag refers to definition 1 or 2?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:24 PM
  • Awesome contribution! Thank you very much!
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:48 PM