My Windows 7 app doesn’t work on Windows Developer Preview. What do I do?

Answers

• Windows Developer Preview is a pre-Beta product, and it doesn’t include all of the features or components of a full release. However, if you’re the developer of the app, there are a couple of things you can try:

Try to rebuild your app using the new tools against the new SDKs to ensure that your project is as compatible as possible with the new libraries.

If the issue is visual (for example, the app isn’t rendering properly), try to assess if the issue is caused by the need to redesign your app for the new operating system or if Windows Developer Preview is rendering the data incorrectly. If you think this is an issue with Windows, you can report this issue using the Feedback tool found on the Start screen.  If you think your app needs to be redesigned, you can go to the UI design for Metro style apps forum for help.

Michael

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:22 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Windows Developer Preview is a pre-Beta product, and it doesn’t include all of the features or components of a full release. However, if you’re the developer of the app, there are a couple of things you can try:

Try to rebuild your app using the new tools against the new SDKs to ensure that your project is as compatible as possible with the new libraries.

If the issue is visual (for example, the app isn’t rendering properly), try to assess if the issue is caused by the need to redesign your app for the new operating system or if Windows Developer Preview is rendering the data incorrectly. If you think this is an issue with Windows, you can report this issue using the Feedback tool found on the Start screen.  If you think your app needs to be redesigned, you can go to the UI design for Metro style apps forum for help.

Michael

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:22 PM
    Owner
  • Shouldn't this thread be made stickly and locked? Many new threads have been created that are on this exact topic, and it appears that they are unnecessary. This post was one of the last in the list; I suspect that barely anyone has had a chance to read it. Also, I would suggest that you update the answer with help for running thrid-party Windows 7 programs on the developer preview (not just custom-made applications). It might be a good idea to say something pointing out that not every single Windows 7 application is necessarily going to work in the Developer Preview.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:17 AM