Mixed ASP.NET and Classic ASP website having an error running under the 4.0 integrated pipeline mode RRS feed

• Question

• User-286709197 posted

I have a Mixed ASP.NET 3.5 and Classic ASP website that has been running successfully on windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2, and Window 2012 in the .net 2.0 integrated pipeline mode.  I recently tried to upgrade the website to 4.0 and change the website to use the .net 4.0 integrated pipeline mode but I received an error when the the asp page tries to do a request command.  If I switch the website to use .net 4.0 Classic pipeline the website works. 

Is there a setting in the Web.config or in IIS that needs to be set before IIS 7.5 will support classic ASP in integrated pipeline mode? 

Why does it work in .NET 2.0 integrated pipeline mode  and not in .NET 4.0 integrated pipeline mode?

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:41 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

If you are running into issues with a Classic ASP site not functioning correctly when using the Integrated Pipeline, then you may need to explicitly set an HttpHandler so that your application knows how to handle the Classic ASP pages : 

<add name="ASPClassic" path="*.asp" verb="GET,HEAD,POST" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" />

It should be noted that Requests are handled differently within the Integrated Pipeline as opposed to Classic Mode (primarily regarding the ISAPI filters) and I believe additional changes have been made to it within recent versions of the .NET Framework (such as 4.0+). Although, there is nothing wrong at all with using Classic mode as opposed to Integrated (if you continue to face issues with it).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:24 AM

All replies

• User-801004448 posted

As far as i know There is no setting to make classic ASP works in integrated pipeline mode.

When you attempt to run classic Asp.net app on integrated mode, it could be slower.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:45 AM
  • User281315223 posted

If you are running into issues with a Classic ASP site not functioning correctly when using the Integrated Pipeline, then you may need to explicitly set an HttpHandler so that your application knows how to handle the Classic ASP pages : 

<add name="ASPClassic" path="*.asp" verb="GET,HEAD,POST" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" />

It should be noted that Requests are handled differently within the Integrated Pipeline as opposed to Classic Mode (primarily regarding the ISAPI filters) and I believe additional changes have been made to it within recent versions of the .NET Framework (such as 4.0+). Although, there is nothing wrong at all with using Classic mode as opposed to Integrated (if you continue to face issues with it).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:24 AM
  • User-286709197 posted

Rion,

Thanks for the response but adding a httpHandler did not correct the problem.  This does not seem to be a a httpHandler issue because when I  set it to Integrated it does not have an error until line 172 of the asp page. so it found the page, read thru about 100 lines of variable declarations and methods before having an error.  The line it errored out on is the first line to call to the request object in the classic asp page.  Was there a change from .NET 2.0 framework to the .NET 4.0 framework that the Integrated pipeline no longer supports asp?  Thanks for your input.

Steve

Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:12 PM