none
Bussiness Architecture RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I need help, I'm trying to help a small business to grow, this business is expanding from 1 main office, to 1 main office and 4 branch offices all over the state, the most important system that the company uses is home made (using VS & Sql Server), but besides that there is nothing. So I'm trying to install all the Architecture on Microsoft Products from scratch, from the servers to the office suite, the whole nine yards.

how should I design this?

Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi again,

Read your reply yesterday and have given it a little bit of thought. Here's all the advice I can give because this isn't really my area of expertise but I've been involved enough in similar things to provide a bit of guidance.

With the networking side of things I have no idea how you'd go about setting that up.

With hardware you want to go down the route of virtualisation. Don't buy a box and just put Windows Server on it. Buy a box and then put something like VMWare on it, this will allow you to have any number of virtual servers that can each be configured specifically for their role. You can also build and destroy servers easier for testing things out for example.

The specification of the box itself... I'm not sure. I'd say get plenty of RAM and make sure you can upgrade the HDD storage easy, this is about RAID and I'm not the expert on that. Post your question on the TechNet forums, that's were the techies hang out.

One thing you have to think about is BACK UPS. No matter what box you buy always buy another one. The one thing that will utterly destroy the company is loss of data.... so make sure the back up and restore is rock solid!! Think of the worst thing that could happen; plan against it; make sure the plan works!! test it! 

Software. Well you have your eyes on Microsoft but you know their are other alternatives (Linux and OpenOffice (and the fork that was created when Oracle got involved)). Lets stick with Microsoft; they have a number of consultants that would be happy to help get things set up, it will cost money of course, but there are a number of licensing options available that could work out ok. Might be worth getting them involved.

No idea about payroll systems, billing, etc, and I'm not even sure Microsoft do that sort of thing. Again I'm at a bit of a loss with this. I could develop you a payroll system but roll your own or off the shelf?

I don't think that really helped, but post it anyway, see what happens. Post your question on the TechNet forums!

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff. He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination." - Fred Brooks
    • Marked as answer by WServigna Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:20 AM

All replies

• i didn't get it, what do you exactly mean by Home made??

but about the problem, i  believe you'd better design a server, that intact with the SQL Server or what other DBMS you're using, this way you can provide a better security for The  data that has been stored, and also u have to develop some client application, you know things to perform tasks, bing able to send some command over the internet to THE server you have developed.

I hope this help

Hosein Malekzade

Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Ummm I think I didn't explain me too well, the thing is that we develop the systems, only develop, the SQL Server for the applications that we develop are hosted by a consultant, as well as the other products. So the thing is to build all the servers (servers for Active Directory, mail, etc) with microsoft products. Build the whole company around it.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:14 PM
  • For email - Outlook

Office works - MS Office (Word, Excel, PP)

Security - AD

DB - SQL Server ( including SSRS for reports)

Application devleopment - .Net ( support tools)

Messageing - Biztalk

Content manage - Sharepoint

Mark "As Answer" if helped.

• Edited by raja.ms Friday, November 4, 2011 9:49 AM Added few more prods
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:48 AM
  • If there are relatively few employees and they need to share documents then you might want to consider office365.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

There really isn't enough information to provide a great amount of help here. It's also not very clear what architecture is meant. Sort of sounds like the network infrastructure needs to be set up but that might just be wrong, might be the software side. Dunno.

Question is how many employees are we talking about here? how much data will they produce? how will that data be backed up? what about the acceptable availability of the network? what's the set up at the moment both in terms of software, hardware and network?

and most important of all ...... what budget is available?

Not trying to be negative. Not critising the original posters first question. Just making it known that to give really valuable advice a lot more information is needed.

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff. He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination." - Fred Brooks
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:36 AM
  • What's the situation as it stands now?

What's the ideal situation that's wanted?

What's the acceptable situation that could work?

and how much money is available for the work?

Friday, November 4, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Derek that is exactly what I want to know how much budget would it take, to take the company to the next level, as it now besides the web page, and a supply chain system (both systems were develop with VS2008 and SQLserver2008), every thing else is as arcaic as it gets, the idea is to develop ourselves the other systems that the company requires such as payroll, billing, etc. the thing is I don't exactly know what kind of network infrastructure and applicattions infrastructure the company will need. the idea is to make a top tier design of Microsoft product that will be needed, and work our budget around it.

The company has $13 million average annual revenue from 2001 and 2009, since the develop of system and a new business strategy, 2010 revenues were 35 $million and this year are aiming for 45$ million, so the business is growing fast but without the proper IT management. and has 300+ employees

Friday, November 4, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Hi again,

Read your reply yesterday and have given it a little bit of thought. Here's all the advice I can give because this isn't really my area of expertise but I've been involved enough in similar things to provide a bit of guidance.

With the networking side of things I have no idea how you'd go about setting that up.

With hardware you want to go down the route of virtualisation. Don't buy a box and just put Windows Server on it. Buy a box and then put something like VMWare on it, this will allow you to have any number of virtual servers that can each be configured specifically for their role. You can also build and destroy servers easier for testing things out for example.

The specification of the box itself... I'm not sure. I'd say get plenty of RAM and make sure you can upgrade the HDD storage easy, this is about RAID and I'm not the expert on that. Post your question on the TechNet forums, that's were the techies hang out.

One thing you have to think about is BACK UPS. No matter what box you buy always buy another one. The one thing that will utterly destroy the company is loss of data.... so make sure the back up and restore is rock solid!! Think of the worst thing that could happen; plan against it; make sure the plan works!! test it! 

Software. Well you have your eyes on Microsoft but you know their are other alternatives (Linux and OpenOffice (and the fork that was created when Oracle got involved)). Lets stick with Microsoft; they have a number of consultants that would be happy to help get things set up, it will cost money of course, but there are a number of licensing options available that could work out ok. Might be worth getting them involved.

No idea about payroll systems, billing, etc, and I'm not even sure Microsoft do that sort of thing. Again I'm at a bit of a loss with this. I could develop you a payroll system but roll your own or off the shelf?

I don't think that really helped, but post it anyway, see what happens. Post your question on the TechNet forums!

• Marked as answer by WServigna Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Dynamics AX is pretty good, that's the financial package.  Not sure whether the payroll module is out the box or an add on.  I know someone does this stuff and it's supposed to be the best of the dynamics bunch.

Don't ever write your own payroll system, it's never economical and it's the one system you never ever want to be responsible for.  A problem with payroll is a great way to have the entire company hate you.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Don't ever write your own payroll system, it's never economical and it's the one system you never ever want to be responsible for.  A problem with payroll is a great way to have the entire company hate you.

QFT
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:30 PM