Error DEP0700 when trying to run a sample Windows Store application

Question

• Hi,

Have just installed Windows 8 Enterprise 90 days Trial 64 bit on my pc and Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 90 days Trial

Yesterday it worked fine, and today has errors

Have created a blank C# Application, and when pressing F5 I get the below error

Error 1 Error : DEP0700 : Registration of the app failed.  (0x80073cf9) 

XAML Designer don't work

Error :

System.Exception

Install failed. Please contact your software vendor. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF9)

at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)   at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Any ideas ?

Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:07 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you don't have a developer license.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Are you able to successfully F5 a JavaScript Windows 8 project or are you only getting this error in VB/C# Win8 projects?

Reza Chitsaz (MSFT)

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:28 PM
  • This error occursfor all projects in WindowsStore

My developer license expiration date is 2012-09-18

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Micbur - do you have multiple user accounts set up on your machine?

- if so have you created apps in Visual Studio under different accounts?

changing the Package Identity (open the manifest, go to the package tab and modify the package name) - should at least unblock you here.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:20 PM
  • what i had was that i was running the simulator and then tried to deploy to the local machine.. got that error as well. i logged off the simulator and problem was gone

Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:45 PM
  • what i had was that i was running the simulator and then tried to deploy to the local machine.. got that error as well. i logged off the simulator and problem was gone

This exact thing happened to me as well.
    Friday, August 24, 2012 7:12 PM
  • I have only one account in the system

I changed the Package Name to another name and appears different error

Error 1 Error : DEP1000 : Cannot copy file "F:\PROJEKTY VISUAL STUDIO\App18\App18\bin\Debug\AppxManifest.xml" to layout "F:\PROJEKTY VISUAL STUDIO\App18\App18\bin\Debug\AppX\AppxManifest.xml".
    The process cannot access the file 'F:\PROJEKTY VISUAL STUDIO\App18\App18\bin\Debug\AppX\AppxManifest.xml' because it is being used by another process

Saturday, August 25, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Is F: a local drive or a network drive?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:41 PM
  • If it can help diagnose this at all, I am having the same problem.  I am running RTM Ent 64, VS 2012 Ultimate.

Original install was done by our IT group (this is our first W8 workstation).  

System.Exception
    Package failed updates, dependency or conflict validation. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF3)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Sorry, forgot to say, uninstall and reinstall did not solve problem.  In my case both existing examples and new projects exhibit the same behavior.   I am unable to visualize XAML in the designer.  Always get this.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:36 PM
  • i am also having the same problem wat to do??

n i have reinstalled it but still the same problem exists

Sunday, September 09, 2012 3:19 PM
  • i am also having the same problem wat to do??

n i have reinstalled it but still the same problem exists

Sunday, September 09, 2012 3:20 PM
  • yes I have multiple accounts on the same system.then how to solve this issue? can u please tell the  package name should be modified to what?
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:11 AM
  • yes I have multiple accounts on the same system.then how to solve this issue? can u please tell the  package name should be modified to what?
    Modify the Package name with a new GUID, You can Create GUID by using Create GUID option under Tools menu.

- Ram

• Proposed as answer by Nack1 Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:51 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nack1 Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:51 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:27 AM
  • I had the same issue running vs 2012 ultimate.  I was able to get the designer running by running VS 2012 as an admnistrator.  I also moved my project to be under the visual studio installation directory.  I think the adminstrator privelages is what was able to make changes to get visual studio designer running properly, but thought I would mention the directory.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:55 PM