none
migrate oracle to sql server RRS feed

• Question

• I want to read all data from sql server in oracle environment. By simple query it returns all fields but except BIT field. How can I read those fields which is BIT datatype? Please suggest
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:59 AM

All replies

• Can you provide a few more details?

Is the BIT field in an Oracle server or a Sql Server? What API/technology are you using to read the other fields from the server? Does the BIT field just not show up, or is there an error? If error, please post the details.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:09 PM
  • BIT field is in sql server database. My oracle server is in some other server in network, I have created one server in my own local machine, created dbLink with correct credential. my ODBC driver is in my local machine and I have one table with one field that is type of BIT in sql server. But while querying it gives two type of error one is ORA28500 and other is ORA 02068. Please suggest
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:47 AM
  • Both of these errors indicate a communication issue between an Oracle server and another  server linked to that one. 

To make sure I'm understanding: you have an SqlServer server set up on your local box and are trying to query it (using System.Data.SqlClient?). The table you are querying lives on the Oracle server, but is exposed as a linked server in the Sql Server. If this is not the case, please describe each step in the process in detail.  Something like: query is issued through data access layer X (provider type) to server S (type, location), which itself connects to other server T (type, location), data is pulled in form/API Y, then routed through layer Z (provider type) to server U (type, location)

From the error codes, it  sounds like the problem is between server processes, not an ADO.Net-level issue. You might have better luck asking this question on one of the Sql Server forums, or the native provider forum (since you mention ODBC).
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Ok let me explain the entire scenario,

First of all let me tell you that there is nothing to do with .NET. May be I have posted in wrong forum area.  But let me explain my problem, I have an ORACLE server which is  say "A". I have a SQL Server named "B". In SQL Server I have a table named "test" who contains only one field named "aa" which is "BIT" type field. I want to query this table from my oracle interface through Oracle's DB Link. But it gives error. If I changed the data type of field "aa" to "int", then it reads easily. But it fails when it is "BIT". I hope now it is clear to you,

Friday, June 22, 2007 3:38 AM
  • Got it. And, yeah, this is the wrong forum for that question.  Hmm.  You might want to try in one of the Sql Server forums, probably the native data access one. But my guess is that you'll need to figure out what the underlying provider issue is -- the errors you mention above are pretty generic for Oracle. If you're using SNAC as the driver to get to the Sql Server, you can trace activity, which hopefully would tell you more.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms971550.aspx

Friday, June 22, 2007 4:31 PM