ffmpeg VS Media Foundation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a little experience with Media Foundation and I know how to use it. But I don't know about the ffmpeg. Could someone tell me which is the best one. Actaully, I am not a huge fan of Open Source but currious to know about it. Move on the right way is hard because there's lot of File Format and Container.

Thanks,

Weera

• Moved by Shu 2017 Wednesday, September 9, 2015 7:07 AM from VC++ forum
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:17 AM

Answers

• ffmpeg offers a much broader set of features compared to Media Foundation, however, it could be said that the core feature of both is media encoding and decoding. For this feature ffmpeg again supports a much greater range of codecs out of the box. In my experience the ffmpeg API is also far easier to work with than the MF one. There is also a lot more documentation and support available for ffmpeg compared to MF. 

Where MF would be expected to have an advantage would be the integration with the Windows audio and video devices. ffmpeg relies on directshow for working with Windows media devices.

Friday, September 11, 2015 11:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Mr.Weera PongPruchya,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum. I will move this issue to Media Foundation Development for Windows Desktop forum since it is related to Media Foundation.

You may need to consider what the target platform for your application and the support file formats.

Best regards,

Shu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

I simply search on the google but really couldn't found any discussion about this topic. They said that ffmpeg is cross-plate-form.

I have no idea. Hope someone who have years of experience with both framework can carify. Actually, As a freelancer that the MF is not popular.

Thanks,

Weera

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 3:04 PM
  • ffmpeg offers a much broader set of features compared to Media Foundation, however, it could be said that the core feature of both is media encoding and decoding. For this feature ffmpeg again supports a much greater range of codecs out of the box. In my experience the ffmpeg API is also far easier to work with than the MF one. There is also a lot more documentation and support available for ffmpeg compared to MF. 

Where MF would be expected to have an advantage would be the integration with the Windows audio and video devices. ffmpeg relies on directshow for working with Windows media devices.

Friday, September 11, 2015 11:27 PM
  • Hi Azaclauson,

You say that the  ffmpeg relies on directshow? Sure!. If yes, That is what I am looking for too.

Directshow is deprecated technologies.

Thanks

Weera

Sunday, September 20, 2015 1:43 AM
  • FFPEG is the best library for media manipulation, a lot of high level frameworks were built on it as the foundation.
    Monday, September 21, 2015 3:00 AM
  • Hi,

Is it possible to use DirectX with FFPEG for HD?

Thanks,

Weera

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:36 AM