none
Xamarin extensions not listed in visual studio

Question

• I've started attempting to develop unit tests for our software and am running into a rather annoying problem.

What I'm trying to test uses Xamarin forms, but I'm unable to add the xamarin.forms.etcetera tothe references. I've already verified, I have Xamarin and all related files listed in my extensions, but Visual Studio can't see them for whatever reason.

I would appreciate any points in the right direction.

ConnerMArms

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hi AReQA-Guy,

I mean you should click the Browse button on right-bottom as below image shows. It will show up a file select window to let you select the files to reference. Then you can locate to the path where the Xamarin dlls stored. Please select the dlls you want to reference and click "OK" button to add the references.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by AReQA-Guy Thursday, December 03, 2015 2:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 02, 2015 1:51 AM

All replies

• Hi AreQA-Guy,

Which project template do you created? Could you provide a detailed steps of how do you create the Xamarin forms to help us reproduce your problem?

Please provide some screenshots to help us to understanding your problem. We need to confirm whether this problem is caused by Visual Studio or the steps of create Xamarin forms.

>>I've already verified, I have Xamarin and all related files listed in my extensions, but Visual Studio can't see them for whatever reason.

What is your extensions? And what message do you get when the Visual Studio not recognize the extensions?

We need more information to understanding your problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:30 AM
  • The Xamarin forms are listed as References/Extensions:

So if I right click and add a reference, the idea is it would show up in the list.

Scrolling to the bottom shows it as.. not having it.

Below shows the Xamarin file in the extensions, which installed along with VS, and all the files in it:

As far as I'm aware, that's all the files that should be present

ConnerMArms

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Hi AReQA-Guy,

I also installed Xamarin Extension and get the same result. I tried add the first reference under the Extension node in Reference Manager window as below image shows, and I find that the dll is not listed in Extensions folder.

So I think the Extensions node not list all dlls under Extension folder. It seems list some default dlls from Microsoft. It should be the designer for Visual Studio.

If you want to add the Xamarin dlls, please through Browse to add into your project.

If any ideas for this design, please post your ideas to User Voice.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, December 01, 2015 10:04 AM
  • Sadly that also comes up with nothing

ConnerMArms

Tuesday, December 01, 2015 2:21 PM
  • Hi AReQA-Guy,

I mean you should click the Browse button on right-bottom as below image shows. It will show up a file select window to let you select the files to reference. Then you can locate to the path where the Xamarin dlls stored. Please select the dlls you want to reference and click "OK" button to add the references.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by AReQA-Guy Thursday, December 03, 2015 2:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 02, 2015 1:51 AM
  • That helped me find the files! They were buried in a mile long directory, but I found what I needed.

I'm still unsure why visual studio couldn't find them though.

Thank you for the help.

ConnerMArms

Thursday, December 03, 2015 2:49 PM