Released: Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Express Edition RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just found this on the download site, get it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=84c5b49f-0f9c-4182-a267-a951328d3fbd&DisplayLang=en

What's new:

All the stuff from the previous CTP's:

New CCR and DSS options, new simulation environments, and lots more!

What's missing in the Express version:

Simulation: Edit mode (I really miss this in the Express version), Floorplan editor, only 64 entities and no import of Collada models, no Outoor and Urban simulation environments.

No CF support?

Distributed Nodes not supported

Erik

Friday, November 14, 2008 10:32 PM

All replies

• Erik,

I'm a bit confused.

What is the difference between:

Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Express Edition vs. CCR & DSS Toolkit 2008?

Would it be correct to say that both are the official v2.0 of MRDS but one is free and one is not?

Any clarity on this is greatly welcome.

Thank you,

Friday, November 14, 2008 10:40 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

So there are actually three editions (if I'm right):

CCR & DSS Toolkit 2008

The commercial package with only CCR and DSS, also available for academic use

Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Express Edition

Robotics Studio, with robotics support, simulation engine, CCR and DSS for hobby use

Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Academic

The full version of MRDS for academic use (and commercial?)

Erik

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Erik,

Wow - that had to be the fastest response I've received on this forum.  Thank you very much!

So, these three versions you describe --> are they v2.0 or still the 1.5 Refresh?

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Thanks, and I'm struggling with a slow internet connection at the moment 

This is all the 2008 version (also known as the 2.0 version)

Erik

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Perfect.  Thank you again!

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:33 PM
  •  Erik Oppedijk wrote:

Hi Dennis,

So there are actually three editions (if I'm right):

CCR & DSS Toolkit 2008

The commercial package with only CCR and DSS, also available for academic use

Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Express Edition

Robotics Studio, with robotics support, simulation engine, CCR and DSS for hobby use

Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Academic

The full version of MRDS for academic use (and commercial?)

Erik

According to Developer Tools Lifecycle Information, Robotics Developer Studio 2008 (RDS 2008) will be divided to four versions:

• Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Academic
  • Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Discovery
  • Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Express
  • Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Standard

And the same page provided version information of Concurrency and Coordination Runtime and Decentralized Software Service Toolkit 2008 (CCR & DSS Toolkit 2008) will be divided to two versions:

• Concurrency and Coordination Runtime and Decentralized Software Service Toolkit 2008 Academic
  • Concurrency and Coordination Runtime and Decentralized Software Service Toolkit 2008 Standard

But I don't know the difference between each version of RDS 2008 and CCR & DSS Toolkit 2008.

Also, I want to know what is the difference between CCR & DSS which include in RDS 2008 and the saparate version.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:39 AM
  •  

I think the difference between MRDS 2008 and the CCR & DSS Toolkit is that the CCR & DSS Toolkit is only a very small subset. Only the basic DLL's for the CCR and DSS are in there.

In MRDS 2008, you also have the simulation engine, the VPL tool, etc.

For all the differences between the academic, standard, express, discovery version, we'll have to wait for an announcement from Microsoft. Most will have to do with licensing I think.

Erik

Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:39 PM
  •  

hi all

i am a little it confused right now..

Do I have to use the July CTP or the latest express editon?

I want to start developing a robot for the robochamps  http://www.robochamps.com

competition...

which part do I have to use. on the robochamp pages there is only the CTP listed.

Please, are there limitations in the express edition which are NOT in the CTP?

thanks in advance

greg

Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:56 PM
  • You'll have to ask this in the RoboChamps forums, wait for an updated version for every challenge, until then, use the July version. All the code (or VPL) you write can be used in the final RDS Express version.

Also, the sumo is already in the RDS Express version.

Most limitations are not the things you use for RoboChamps I think.

Erik

Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Let me see if I can summarize all of this.

For RoboChamps, you still have to use the July CTP of RDS because the environment was built using this.

The new versions of RDS 2008 are:

Express

Standard

Academic

Express will be free of charge (for both commercial and non-commercial use) and is a subset of Standard which will be available for purchase. Academic is basically the same as Standard but for educational use only. Discovery is for OEMs only and not for general release.

The CCR & DSS Toolkit contains exactly the same core components as RDS as well as VPL, but none of the robotics stuff. This must be purchased but allows unlimited redistribution. It is intended for non-robotics applications were concurrency and distributed processing are required. (Hint: If you want to evaluate the Toolkit before purchasing, you can use RDS Express Edition and just ignore the robotics pieces.)

I hope this helps clarify the new release. By the way, it is not officially released yet. Watch for announcement at the RoboDevelopment Conference this week and updates to the web site.

Trevor

Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Excellent summarization, Trevor!  Thank you.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:53 PM
  • thanks for the replies

I have one more question regarding this comment in another answer

"

What's missing in the Express version:

Simulation: Edit mode (I really miss this in the Express version), Floorplan editor, only 64 entities and no import of Collada models, no Outoor and Urban simulation environments.

No CF support?

Distributed Nodes not supported

"

are there limitations in the different versions and which limitations are these?

thanks

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:37 PM
  • go to this page for some more info on the different editions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/robotics/bb727194.aspx

Erik
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  

ah thanks...

this page I was looking for Smile

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:05 PM