Applying an Encoder template to a video in Blend RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a Silverlight application to play videos.

I've inserted a video in the design surface and it plays successfully in a browser window.

Now I want to apply a template from Encoder to this video in Blend.  I don't want to customise the template at this stage.

I've saved a template in Encoder.  What do I do now?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Roger

Friday, August 26, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Some more information about this problem.

I am using Visual Web Developer Express 2010.

I have a solution built with asp.net using VB that is an operational CMS.

I want to integrate audio and video using Silverlight into this solution.

I am currently using the trial versions of Expression 4 and Expression Encoder 4.

Using Expression Blend, I have created a Silverlight application project as part of my solution.  This application includes a video and it works successfully in a browser, but the video needs to be embedded in a media player template. 

I have been using Expression Encoder 4 to try to create a media player template. I select a template, set the options and then edit a copy of the template in Expression Blend (if I edit a copy of the template in Visual Studio I get the error:  "Visual Studio 2008 SP1 is not currently installed").

I then try to open the project I have just created with EE4 in VWD Express and get the following errors:

Error 1 Unable to load the metadata for assembly 'ExpressionPlayer'. This assembly may have been downloaded from the web.  See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=179545.  The following error was encountered during load: Could not load file or assembly 'ExpressionPlayer, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Users\RSW\Documents\Expression\Expression Encoder\Templates\Silverlight Default\Source\Page.xaml 1 1 Standard

Error 2 The type 'ExpressionPlayer:ExpressionPlayer' was not found. Verify that you are not missing an assembly reference and that all referenced assemblies have been built. C:\Users\RSW\Documents\Expression\Expression Encoder\Templates\Silverlight Default\Source\Page.xaml 11 14 Standard

What am I doing wrong?  Very frustrating that I can successfully create an operational video in Silverlight but cannot embed it in a media player template!

I do hope you can help.  I am stuck!

Roger

Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:05 PM
  • I urgently need your help with this problem.

An early response would be much appreciated.

Roger

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:27 PM
  • This blog post might be of some help

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/randyoakley/archive/2010/06/21/making-a-simple-appearance-change-to-an-expression-encoder-4-template-using-expression-blend-4.aspx

Be sure to read the comments section about installing the Silverlight SDK and tools.

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Thanks for this, Randy.

After step 8:

8) Once Blend 4 launches – rebuild the player – using the “Project -> Rebuild Project” command:

I get the followint errors in Expression Blend:

Task attempted to find "AL.exe" in two locations 1) Under the "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\" processor specific directory which is generated based on SdkToolsPath 2) The x86 specific directory under "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\" which is specified by the SDKToolsPath property.  You may be able to solve the problem by doing one of the following:  1) Set the "SDKToolsPath" property to the location of the Microsoft Windows SDK.

Tashk could not find "AL.exe" using the SdkToolsPath "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\" or the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A".  Make sure the SdkToolsPath is set and the tool exists in the correct processor specific location under the SdkToolsPah and that the Microsoft Windows SDK is installed.

The Microsoft Windows SDK is installed and the path "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\" does exist but the AL.exe file is not in that folder.

How  and where do I make sure that the "SDKToolsPath" property is set to the location of the Microsoft Windows SDK?

What am I doing wrong here?

Your help would be much appreciated again.

Roger

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Typically error messages related to AL.EXE come from not having "Visual C# 2010 Express" (or the full Visual Studio 2010) installed.

Another user ran into this problem and wrote this post about it -- the most helpful bit is in the last paragraph

http://www.jaressloo.com/2011/08/editing-a-silverlight-template-in-expression-blend-4 

• Marked as answer by withers Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Thanks, Randy.  That fixed the problem.

My platform is Windows 7, Visual Web Developer Express 2010, Expression version 4

I did three things:

1)  Installed the Windows 7 SDK.

2)  Told msBuild to use v7.1 of the tools ( see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2986440/msbuild-on-teamcity-server-cant-find-al-exe

3)  Installed Visual Basic Express.

Action 3) fixed it.  Don't know if 1 and 2 were relevant.

Roger

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:56 AM