none
Using Rights Management to Protect .xlsm Excel Reports - Buttons Not Accessible to Users RRS feed

• Question

• In an attempt to lock down our Excel reports that are using Macros and have a connection to a database we started using Information Rights Management to allow all users read, Print, and Access content programatically but only IT to have edit ability.  The intention is a user can run the report by clicking a Run button, update some parameters and see the results in a newly generated workbook without being able to edit the original.  This worked prior to Rights Management being turned on.  What we are seeing now is that users cannot click the run button, it is like it is disabled to them.  I have updated the Trust settings and unhid the hidden tabs in an attempt to correct this.  Anyone experience this or have any suggestions on what to try next?  Or is this not going to be possible using rights management?

Thanks for any help

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi DByrdMM,

I can see that you are using Rights Management.

it was working correctly but now the button get disabled.

did you made any changes in rights management?

you had mentioned that you had updated the Trust center settings. what did you changed there?

you had mentioned that,"  What we are seeing now is that users cannot click the run button, it is like it is disabled to them."

try to check that in Trust Center Settings, check macros are enabled.

if it is disabled then this kind of issue occurs. you can see the button but when you click on that nothing will happen.

so try to check it and let me know about that.

also let me know about your Rights Management settings.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  I have below the rights settings for all users and my Trust center settings.  I more or less enabled everything in the trust center to see if we could get the button to work for users other than myself.  

Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:15 AM
  • Hi DByrdMM,

can you please confirm that button you are clicking contains the code or not.

please try to enable the Design view and double click on that button.

check and confirm that button had the code.

it is possible that someone delete the old button and created a new button.

so the code was removed with old button.

or it is possible that someone just remove the code or commented it.

if code is there then you can put a break point on that and try to debug it to check when you click on button it get executed or not.

you can also try to post your sample workbook on any free sharing website and post the link here.

we will try to get your workbook from there and we will try to test it on our side to see what's going on.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 30, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Thank you.  We took an existing working report workbook and simply added the rights management and additionally the updates to the trust.  Those were the only two changes made.  I can still run the report as the person who has full rights to the workbook but my All Users setting cannot.  I thought the combination of relaxing the Trust settings and giving all user the "Access content Programatically" would have been enough

There is code in the button and the behavior to all users with the IRM settings above is that they simply cannot click.  I am wondering if there is something else that could be in the VB code or settings in the workbook that is either not enabling macros fully for them OR seeing that click as an edit.

As a sanity check I removed the IRM and tested again with a user and they are able to click the Run button for the report.  Further I see this is an ActiveX command button and we made the same update to the Trust for ActiveX controls to Enable all Controls.

The field contains: =EMBED("Forms.CommandButton.1","")

The code the button contains:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    With Noloc2datselForm
        .StartUpPosition = 0
        .Left = Application.Left + (0.5 * Application.Width) - (0.5 * .Width)
        .Top = Application.Top + (0.5 * Application.Height) - (0.5 * .Height)
        .Show
    End With
    End Sub

• Edited by DByrdMM Friday, June 30, 2017 2:27 PM
    Friday, June 30, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Hi DByrdMM,

so it looks like the issue is related with permissions and not related with code.

try to provide read write permission to other users and try to check whether they can able to execute the code on button click or not.

I think that Excel think that it is possible that code make some changes in the workbook and with only Read permission it is not allowing it to make those changes.

if that work by changing the permission then you need to find a work around to achieve your requirement because with only Read permission you are not able to fulfil it.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 3, 2017 3:06 AM