Why can't I build my project in Blend? It build fine in VS 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• I get the following errors when I try and build in Blend:

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:52 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately your problem is probably buried deep somewhere in your app so I cannot solve it for you (I have similar problems with Blend basically rendering it useless)

What I have done is start a new project in Blend and import the pages/classes one by one until you get the problem then you know which page it is in then deconstruct that page then carry on importing until everything is in

I do believe that one small problem on one page can affect the whole app then you get the 'everything fails' messages without the pointers you get in VS,

I also believe that a build does not appear to refresh the assemblies every time so you can make a change which is not reflected immediately (or for quite a while after)

Sorry I cannot help beyond this but at least you know you are not alone, remember it is only Version 4!?

jnc
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Thanks, I appreciate your help but really... Blend is not a cheap product, this is really quite unacceptable. Can somebody from Microsoft please explain how something like this can happen? This is an absolutely massive bug that has now occurred in the only two large projects I have worked on in Silverlight. First time I let it slide because I simply didn't have the time but now I am working on a completely different project with almost nothing in shared code and here we go again.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:47 PM
  • I think we're going to need more info then that screenshot to help you. Can you send a project that is having this error to jchase at microsoft.com? 

But from just looking at the project I can see that the version information in the assemblies (2.0.5.0) indicates that you are referencing Silverlight 2 assemblies and that somehow they are not being found. Could you at least open your project file and show us the <Reference /> elements you have? Also the obvious question just to make sure, you do have Silverlight 2 installed right?

-- justin
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 2:29 PM
  • No... I do not mean to be referencing Silverlight 2. This project should be Silverlight 4. It says I'm targeting version 4 under the Properties tab in VS.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 1:14 AM
  • 2.0.5.0 is the version of SL 4 assemblies as well. I would suspect that when building in VS there is an env variable that is allowing msbuild (the underlying build system for both VS and Blend) to find the proper assemblies.

I would try a couple of things to narrow down the problem:

1. Open a command prompt, cd to your sln directory, run msbuild yourslnname.sln and see if that builds.

MSBuild on my machine can be found here:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe

2. If that fails, open a VS command prompt (from the start menu next to VS), this will have similar env variables to when VS runs. Try #1 from that prompt.

If you would post the .csproj contents here we may also be able to help isolate the problem.

Monday, March 21, 2011 4:30 PM