In "Seed()" method, when trying to use .FindbyName, thread exits. RRS feed

• Question

• User-1134857695 posted

Hello to all! This problem tend to happen to me sporadically. I still do not know the cause of the issue.

Details:

ASP.NET 4.6 with MVC 5 + EF 6.1 + Identity 2.2.1

I have a simple seed method for inserting an Admin account to it. As following the guides from the Internet, I end up doing the following:

var role = roleManager.FindByName(roleName);
                    if (role == null)
                    {
                        role = new  AppRole(roleName);
                        var roleresult = roleManager.Create(role);
                    }

var user = userManager.FindByName(UserName);
                    if (user == null)
                    {

//Omitted code for brevety. 
                        var result = userManager.Create(user, password);
                    }
    //Keep doing some stuff.

Simple, right? The code which I've omitted is for filling in the details.

The problem is the following: Most of the times, when I run the seed method and it hits the roleManager.FindByName(roleName) the thread in which it was running exits (with code 0 (0x0)). The same goes on with userManager.FindByName. But, if I don't use those methods, everything goes smoothly.

I have checked for values in the roleManager and it is not null (it would have shouted an object not reference...)

Not that is killing me, because I only use the Seed method once... But it intrigues me to what it could be causing it.

Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:06 AM

Answers

• User-271186128 posted

Hi superjose,

The problem is the following: Most of the times, when I run the seed method and it hits the roleManager.FindByName(roleName) the thread in which it was running exits (with code 0 (0x0)). The same goes on with userManager.FindByName. But, if I don't use those methods, everything goes smoothly.

From your description, I suggest you could set a breakpoint to debug your code, and check whether the roleName and username is null.

Besides, since you are using Asp.net Identity, I suggest you could refer to the following code to add user and role.

var UserManager = new UserManager<MyUser>(new UserStore<MyUser>(context)); 
                   var RoleManager = new RoleManager<IdentityRole>(new RoleStore<IdentityRole>(context));

string name = "Admin";
                     string password = "123456";

//Create Role Admin if it does not exist
                    if (!RoleManager.RoleExists(name))
                    {
                        var roleresult = RoleManager.Create(new IdentityRole(name));
                    }

//Create User=Admin with password=123456
                    var user = new MyUser();
                    user.UserName = name;
                    var adminresult = UserManager.Create(user, password);

//Add User Admin to Role Admin
                    if (adminresult.Succeeded)
                    {
                        var result = UserManager.AddToRole(user.Id, name);
                    }

More details, please refer to this article: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2013/10/20/building-a-simple-todo-application-with-asp-net-identity-and-associating-users-with-todoes/

Best regards,
    Dillion

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:46 AM

All replies

• User-1134857695 posted

Hmmm. Interesting. Evaluation times out when I try to put "roleManager.FindByName(roleName)" into a Watch window. Could it be database connection problems?

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:22 AM
  • User-1134857695 posted

Woot! It worked again! I don't know... Really... what is it. I am using Windows 10 RTM 10586.101. Insider Preview was giving me some issues when running it.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:30 AM
  • User-1134857695 posted

Sigh* Keeps happening. Does anyone know a solution to this.

Update: (April 29th, 2016)

Sorry for not replying. I can't reply anymore since the thread is locked. I wanted to thank you. Your code is working, and I now know why. I used to grab the UserManager from the OwinContext, which was non-existent at that time. Forcing to create a new UserManager and RoleManager allowed me to access it directly without problems. 

One year later the problem was fixed! Thanks a bunch!

Friday, February 12, 2016 5:19 PM
  • User-271186128 posted

Hi superjose,

From your description, I suggest you could set a breakpoint to debug your code, and check whether the roleName and username is null.

Besides, since you are using Asp.net Identity, I suggest you could refer to the following code to add user and role.

var UserManager = new UserManager<MyUser>(new UserStore<MyUser>(context)); 
                   var RoleManager = new RoleManager<IdentityRole>(new RoleStore<IdentityRole>(context));

string name = "Admin";
                     string password = "123456";

//Create Role Admin if it does not exist
                    if (!RoleManager.RoleExists(name))
                    {
                        var roleresult = RoleManager.Create(new IdentityRole(name));
                    }

//Create User=Admin with password=123456
                    var user = new MyUser();
                    user.UserName = name;
                    var adminresult = UserManager.Create(user, password);

//Add User Admin to Role Admin
                    if (adminresult.Succeeded)
                    {
                        var result = UserManager.AddToRole(user.Id, name);
                    }

More details, please refer to this article: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2013/10/20/building-a-simple-todo-application-with-asp-net-identity-and-associating-users-with-todoes/

Best regards,
    Dillion

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:46 AM