none
Upgrading AD Connect to latest version

Question

• Hi Forum

I have read the following: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/active-directory/connect/active-directory-aadconnect-upgrade-previous-version

And noted that an in-place upgrade will reset the config to default. I was assuming this meant everything including the domain filtering etc? We also use this with ADFS, password sync and an Exchange Hybrid configuration.

I opened the Sync rules editor to have a look if anything custom and it is blank.

• Current version: 1.1.189.0
    • Version to upgrade to: 1.1.443.0

So my questions are:

1. Am I safe to to run an in-place upgrade and should I be looking to export config?
    2. What configuration will be reset? My understanding was it is only the
      Service account,
      Schedule, and
      Custom Rules (which would be seen in the editor).
      Seen here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/active-directory/connect/active-directory-aadconnectsync-best-practices-changing-default-configuration
      Please confirm.
    3. Can you also confirm whether auto upgrade is recommended in this instance?

Trying to make this a least hassle upgrade. So your assistance and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

NN

Monday, March 20, 2017 6:26 PM

Answers

• The things that will be reset are out-of-box rules you have changed. Other configurations you have made will remain.

An in-place upgrade should work if you have not changed any out-of-box rules.

The service account, schedule and additional rules you've created will be kept.

Auto upgrade is only available if you did an express install. Since you are still on 1.1.189, you would not be eligible for an auto upgrade. An in-place upgrade should still work.

• Marked as answer by Naked Nuts Thursday, April 06, 2017 3:18 PM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 8:49 PM
  • There was an issue with this if you use multiple supported domains. I had to reapply the multiple domain support claim for the issuerid. Google and you will find it.

If you get trust issues when using ADFS this will be why. Takes 5mins to fix.

Thursday, April 06, 2017 3:18 PM

All replies

• The things that will be reset are out-of-box rules you have changed. Other configurations you have made will remain.

An in-place upgrade should work if you have not changed any out-of-box rules.

The service account, schedule and additional rules you've created will be kept.

Auto upgrade is only available if you did an express install. Since you are still on 1.1.189, you would not be eligible for an auto upgrade. An in-place upgrade should still work.

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:49 PM
  • Thank you Andreas. Will run the upgrade and confirm the results.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:39 AM
  • There was an issue with this if you use multiple supported domains. I had to reapply the multiple domain support claim for the issuerid. Google and you will find it.

If you get trust issues when using ADFS this will be why. Takes 5mins to fix.

Thursday, April 06, 2017 3:18 PM