Host Azure worker role in IIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a project in VS2010, WCF with windows azure. I have a web role and two worker roles in my project. I am using worker roles to handle some background processes. It works fine in my local machine (devstorage). But, the background processes are not working when I host my application in the local server (IIS). I have hosted my web role and wcf in the IIS. Do I need to host my worker role also in the IIS? And also please provide some information on hosting the worker role in the Azure environment. Thanks in advance.

S.Sujith
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:31 AM

Answers

• Web roles and worker roles are Windows Azure artefacts which should be hosted in either the Windows Azure Compute Emulator locally or in the Windows Azure cloud. A web role uses IIS to host web sites but the role entry point code is hosted in a Windows Azure process. Similarly, worker roles are hosted in a Windows Azure process not IIS.

I suggest you download the Windows Azure Platform Training Kit which contains a wealth of presentations, samples and hands-on labs that you can learn much about Windows Azure from.

• Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Friday, July 1, 2011 2:48 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:50 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Web roles and worker roles are Windows Azure artefacts which should be hosted in either the Windows Azure Compute Emulator locally or in the Windows Azure cloud. A web role uses IIS to host web sites but the role entry point code is hosted in a Windows Azure process. Similarly, worker roles are hosted in a Windows Azure process not IIS.

I suggest you download the Windows Azure Platform Training Kit which contains a wealth of presentations, samples and hands-on labs that you can learn much about Windows Azure from.

• Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Friday, July 1, 2011 2:48 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I will mark the reply as answer. If you find it no help, please feel free to unmark it and follow up.

Thanks.

Wengchao Zeng
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:48 AM