Report Manager asks for Username and Password for each drill downs reg,. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We 've our datasource configured with '<label for="ui_rdoPromptUser">Credentials supplied by the user running the report</label>' in the Report Manager. So, the user have to provide the login details to view the report.

Here, since the datasource is shared one and we use the same for all other related reports too, it asks each time the login details to view the report. The problem is, even it asks for the username and password for the drill through reports too. 

Is there any work around to make the drill through reports  to pick up the username and password from the main report? kindly let us know. - Thank you!

--------------------------- Radhai Krish | Golden Age is no more far | --------------------------

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 9:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Radhai,

I understand your scenario as you are using "By prompting the user viewing the report for credentials" . 

However, you would like to avoid entering credential when users navigate to drill-through report, am I correct? 

If so, you could try to bind the data source manually to the drill through report and set the data source "Stored credential" for the drill-through report.

You could go to Report Manager >> Find the drill through report >> Manage >> Data Sources  >> Choose "A custom data source" >> Enter the connect string you used when build the report >> "Use the following credentials >> Save

For example, I have a drill through report "Chart1"

I set  "By prompting the user viewing the report for credentials" for the main report "Drilldownanddrillthrough", when I open that main report, I need to enter the credentials.

After that, the main report will navigate to the drill through report "Chart1", because I bind manually the datasource to "Chart1", then I do not need to enter the credentials again.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Henry

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Radhai Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:05 AM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Radhai,

I understand your scenario as you are using "By prompting the user viewing the report for credentials" . 

However, you would like to avoid entering credential when users navigate to drill-through report, am I correct? 

If so, you could try to bind the data source manually to the drill through report and set the data source "Stored credential" for the drill-through report.

You could go to Report Manager >> Find the drill through report >> Manage >> Data Sources  >> Choose "A custom data source" >> Enter the connect string you used when build the report >> "Use the following credentials >> Save

For example, I have a drill through report "Chart1"

I set  "By prompting the user viewing the report for credentials" for the main report "Drilldownanddrillthrough", when I open that main report, I need to enter the credentials.

After that, the main report will navigate to the drill through report "Chart1", because I bind manually the datasource to "Chart1", then I do not need to enter the credentials again.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Henry

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Radhai Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:05 AM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:31 AM
  • Henry! you've given the best work around which will suit our need as the dataset queries are built in such a way it will show the records permitted to the logged in user. So, I 'll accept this. 

Thank you so much!! Have wonderful day :)

--------------------------- Radhai Krish | Golden Age is no more far | --------------------------

Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:05 AM