HTML site in SharePoint Top Level Site RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a SharePoint site for our Intranet - A top-level team site. (I am new to SharePoint.) While I am learning how to add content and sub-sites through the browser to this site, I would like to present (already have it built) an html site with a few pages for our employees to enjoy in the meantime. Can I copy or import these html pages in SharePoint Designer 2007 to this top level site without "breaking" any site definitions.  I will keep all the files at the top level and have a graphics folder instead of "images."  Thus, staying away from copying or importing into any of the site folders.  I can have our IT person point everyone's home page to the home page (html) file, which I will name home.html for now.  When the SharePoint site is ready we can point to the default.aspx page.  I guess maybe all this info is not pertinent, but I am trying to be detailed. 

I guess my major question is whether I can import html files to the top level site through SharePoint Designer 2007 or whether I can copy html files there without disturbing the site definitions and breaking the site? 

Thanks for the help.

Mary Lally Snow

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:06 AM Question separated out from the many lines (line feeds would be useful!) of description. Also bolded.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:43 PM

Answers

• You can copy those regular files over no problem just be careful not to overwrite the sharepoint default.aspx as you'll want to use that later. Its not the cleanest way to go but should work.
    -tom daly
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:58 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:18 AM

All replies

• Depends on how you want to present those pages.

A less hassle way is to create a folder under RootWeb's document library and put everything (HTML and images) there.

Then on your SharePoint Intranet site home page, add a "Page Viewer" Web part to display the HTML pages.

Allen Wang | http://blogs.msdn.com/allenwang
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Allen - Thanks for that solution. I will try to do that and let you know.  Is there an easy answer to my original question about importing or copying in SharePoint Designer 2007 to the top directory (right in the same area as the default.aspx)?

Mary Lally Snow
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 1:46 PM
  • You can copy those regular files over no problem just be careful not to overwrite the sharepoint default.aspx as you'll want to use that later. Its not the cleanest way to go but should work.
    -tom daly
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:58 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:18 AM