Witness Disconnected from Principal and Mirror RRS feed

• Question

• The following error appears at the witness server:

Database Mirroring login attempt failed with error: 'Connection handshake failed. An OS call failed: (8009030c) 0x8009030c(The logon attempt failed). State 67.'.  [CLIENT: 10.70.50.30]

Clearly there is some issue with the network account but we cannot figure out what it is.  This network account is used to services witness, principal and mirror sql server services and i can use this network account to connect to each of the other instances from all three.  the actual mirroring is functioning properly, only the witness is disconnected.

Versions:

Principal and Mirror: 10.00.25.31 (2008 SP1)

Witness: 10.50.1600 (2008 R2 RTM)

IngTechDBA
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Each server of principal/mirror/witness uses its own service account to connect to other servers if using Windows Authentication. So, please make sure each server's service account has been added to other servers as a login and granted CONNECT permission on the mirroring endpoints. You may also need to configure Windows firewall to allow required ports to go through.

If SQL Server uses built-in Local System or Network Service account, these accounts use domain\computer$ computer account to access network therefore use that account instead. 

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:36 AM

All replies

• Whats the OS?

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

Each server of principal/mirror/witness uses its own service account to connect to other servers if using Windows Authentication. So, please make sure each server's service account has been added to other servers as a login and granted CONNECT permission on the mirroring endpoints. You may also need to configure Windows firewall to allow required ports to go through.

If SQL Server uses built-in Local System or Network Service account, these accounts use domain\computer$ computer account to access network therefore use that account instead. 

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:36 AM
  • The service account should have enough permission to connect also make sure they have included into sysadmin roles?

Please check account under endpoints configure should have enough permissions. to check the connectivity with telnet ports on both directions.

Mirroring will work fine with out witness until principal and mirror can see each other, If they lost connectivity between them then they declare themselves as principal (split brain)

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/ramjaddu
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:54 PM
  • The service account should have enough permission to connect also make sure they have included into sysadmin roles?

Hi Ram,

Can you explain why SYSADMIN access is required for SQL server services account on the other server ?

Say , if your SQL A server running under loginA do you mean to say that loginA needs to be added to SQL B server and granted sysadmin access ? Can you add more details to it

Thanks, Leks
    • Proposed as answer by RamJaddu Monday, June 13, 2011 10:40 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:42 AM
    Answerer
  • I agree with Leks. I don't think SysAdmin is needed.
    If you find it in any microsoft documentation, please let me know.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:31 AM
  • I also agree with Leks.....Sysadmin role does not needed it typo mistake...... unless you enable Monitoring Mirroring Status

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:42 AM