How to tell Right shift key down from left shift key down

Question

• I have an app subscribing to CoreWindow KeyDown event.

The event args->VirtualKey always giving me 16(Shift) regardless I press left shift or right shift.

How to tell the two from codes?

Monday, January 12, 2015 3:30 PM

Answers

• When you get a KeyDown for VirtualKey::Shift call CoreWindow::GetKeyState(VirtualKey::LeftShift) or (VirtualKey::RightShift) to differentiate between the keys.
    • Marked as answer by hereafter Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:21 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 4:20 PM
  • From the eventing point of view they're the same key. There is no way to get a second KeyDown event when the same virtual key is pressed, even if it's physically a different key.

• Marked as answer by hereafter Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:49 AM

All replies

• When you get a KeyDown for VirtualKey::Shift call CoreWindow::GetKeyState(VirtualKey::LeftShift) or (VirtualKey::RightShift) to differentiate between the keys.
    • Marked as answer by hereafter Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:21 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 4:20 PM
  • This is a follow up question.

I have a use case i need to monitor Left shift down and Right down seperately.

When i hold down left shift key a KeyDown event is fired with Shift as its virtual key,

then i press down right shift key before i let left shift key go, no event is fired.

Is there any way to get around this?

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:24 AM
  • From the eventing point of view they're the same key. There is no way to get a second KeyDown event when the same virtual key is pressed, even if it's physically a different key.

• Marked as answer by hereafter Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:49 AM