none
Git repository offline in VS 2015

Question

• We are moving from SVN to git on Beanstalk.  I am currently working on two projects under git.  The first works as I expect it to with Team Explorer.  However, the second one does not.  I an browse to the project in Team Explorer, but as soon as I open it, it shows the project as being offline with no option to bring it online.  Does anyone have any advice on what to do to get this working correctly?

My other team mates use third party tools, but I would really like to use the stuff baked into VS if at all possible.  I am really hoping that VS gets better integration of git repositories outside of TFS and GitHub in the near future.  It still feels very clunky to me.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Opus,

Please check whether you have choose Microsoft Git Provider in menu Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Plug-in Selection as below image shows.

If you have chosen, please try remove the SVN on your computer, which can exclude the effect from it and then please open any other git local repository (you should add one if you don't already have) in the team explorer and then reopen your previous repository again

Then please try delete the caches under  %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. Whether there has any information about Git connection.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Opus,

Please check whether you have choose Microsoft Git Provider in menu Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Plug-in Selection as below image shows.

If you have chosen, please try remove the SVN on your computer, which can exclude the effect from it and then please open any other git local repository (you should add one if you don't already have) in the team explorer and then reopen your previous repository again

Then please try delete the caches under  %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. Whether there has any information about Git connection.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 6:13 AM
  • Doesn't work. My git suddenly went offline and I cannot do anything to get it back online.

I'm the only dev with this issue.

Tried all fixes listed and rebooted with no change.

I can't work!

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:50 PM