the item was not renamed in the source control database RRS feed

• Question

• I get this every time I create a new SSAS project - the default filename for the tabular model is model.bim, and when I rename it, this error pops up. In source control I will then have the .bim file with the new name AND the model.bim, but in my project there is only the renamed .bim. I have to go in to source control explorer and manually delete the file every time. This behavior has been occurring since SSAS tabular models were first introduced into SSDT-BI. It's happened with TFS 2010, and now TFS 2013. Would anyone happen to know what causes this behaviour, and how to rectify it?

I have a slew of other TFS/SSDT-BI issues, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I did try on my machine, and could reproduce your scenario. I have to set up environment to support Analysis Services Tabular Project, which cost too much time.

I also notice the website below, which mentions the file name should not be changed in Model Properties:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg492145.aspx

Maybe this is due to the particular file. If you want to have this feature, you can consider submit an uservoice at the website below:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/30925-team-foundation-server

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Cece Dong Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:57 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 10:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

What're the versions of VS and SSDT-BI?

Have you ever checked in the model.bim file to TFS? Or did you mean you modified the model.bim file when you created a SSAS project, then checked it into TFS? Please provide me your steps as detailed as possible, so that I can reproduce your issue.

After deleting the file manually, please try to check in the solution again to see whether the file would come back.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:57 AM
  • I think you could use pretty much any version that supports tabular models, but for the sake of argument I'm using VS 2013 with update 2 (version 12.0.30501.00), SSDT-BI version should be the latest - though it's difficult to determine what version you actually have. The SQL Services Analysis Services in the help says Version 12.0.2000.8, and SQL Server Data Tools says 12.0.40403.0.

Steps to produce:

New Project, Analysis Services Tabular Project (check off add to source control), click ok, set up your workspace server (localhost in my case), compatability level (SQL 2012 with SP1 in my case), and choose TFS as source control. Add your solution to wherever you feel like in TFS< and click ok. You then have an empty project with a model.bim. Rename the model.bim file, and voila -

In my project I will have 'StupidModel.bim' as I have renamed it with a little green + beside it. But if I browse source control I now have model.bim AND StupidModel.bim with an add action.

I've also tried checking in the project before renaming the model.bim, but it results in essentially the same problem, with the one difference being you'll have a model.bim in source control that is entirely oblivious that an edit has been done, and a StupidModel.bim with an add action on it.

I'm using TFS online for this as I'm at home, but it has the same effect on our local TFS 2013 at work.

Friday, June 27, 2014 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for feedback.

Please don't add your solution to TFS until you rename the file. Or just rename the file in source control. If you rename the file in local then try to check in, TFS will consider it as a new file.

Friday, June 27, 2014 11:32 AM
  • Hi Cece,

That's not the behavior with other VS projects - so why would it be that way with SSAS?

Renaming the file before the solution is added to TFS doesn't really work, because we have multiple projects in a solution and at some point we're going to add a new one after the solution has been added to TFS.

Renaming the file in source control does the exact same thing (did you even try this???).

Friday, June 27, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

I did try on my machine, and could reproduce your scenario. I have to set up environment to support Analysis Services Tabular Project, which cost too much time.

I also notice the website below, which mentions the file name should not be changed in Model Properties:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg492145.aspx

Maybe this is due to the particular file. If you want to have this feature, you can consider submit an uservoice at the website below:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/30925-team-foundation-server

• Marked as answer by Cece Dong Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:57 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 10:41 AM