none
How do I forward DNS queries to an external DNS without adding it to my DNS Servers List? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a domain controller in a Virtual Network (VN). I want to set it up as my only DNS server in the VN, but I also want it to forward unknown DNS queries to an external DNS. However, it seems that DNS queries are blocked unless I have the server list in my DNS Server List, which then causes all machines in the VN to use that DNS server as well. So, how do I allow DNS queries to go to an external DNS server from my DC without causing all my clients to use that external DNS as well?
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    According to your description, do you mean that you wanted the DC to use the on-premise DNS server? If yes, it seems that you need to add both the on-premise DNS server’s IP address and the Azure DC’s IP address in the virtual network.
    If what you mean is the Azure’s built-in DNS server, you can just add the DC’s IP address in the Virtual Network Properties and point the preferred DNS server to the external DNS server and the alternate DNS server to itself on the DC in TCP/IP settings. Or you can set the Azure’s built-in DNS server as a forwarder in DNS console.
    Best regards,
    Susie

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:29 AM
  • Or you can set the Azure’s built-in DNS server as a forwarder in DNS console.

Yes, this is exactly what I want to do. Unfortunately I can't do that because the VN appears to block all queries to Azure's built-in DNS IP address unless it's listed in the DNS Server List, so the DC can't get to it. So the question is, how can I set up the VN so that the DC can run queries against the built-in DNS but without adding the built-in DNS to the DNS Servers List?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:17 PM