Freshmen questions about Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Here are my first questions about Azure after reading the official website and related pages / articles. I hope some one can provide me some details.

1. Can I host multiple websites per instance in Azure, like I can in IIS?
    2. Can I connect multiple domains to a website? Including sub domains?
    3. Can I upload my VS.NET C# ASP.NET solution to Azure or do I need to change my code? If so, what code do I likely need to change?
    4. In my web application users can upload images and other files. I just save (host) the files in a project sub directory (\uploads). Will this solution still work in Azure?
    5. In my web application I use a sql database, hosted in one of my project sub directories. Is this still possible in Azure?
    6. My web application offers logged-in user the feature to download files. The Content Delivery Network (CDN) documentation uses the term public files. Can I also use the CDN for secured files (those only accessible by logged-in users)?

Thank you very much!

Friday, November 12, 2010 7:43 PM

Answers

• 1) not yet, but its coming in the next release scheduled for yet this year

2) see #1

3) you can, but you *should* consider changes. In some cases, the changes are nearly mandatory (security restrictions in Azure, persisting data long-term on local file stores, etc..)

4) see #3, these types of operations should leverage Azure Storage or another form of persistance

5) no. Look into using SQL Azure or *possibly* storing those on an Azure Drive (still in beta)

6) unless you need globalized delivery, CDN might be overkill, You could still deliver this type of functionality via public folders in Azure Storage Blobs.

• Marked as answer by Arjen Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:30 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:57 PM
  • I'd start by going to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/getstarted/default.aspx

You can also grab Windows Azure Platform Training Kit. If you run through its hands on labs, it should help you with getting started on three main silos for Azure.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Hi Brent,

Thanks for your reply!

I have add comments in the quote...

1) not yet, but its coming in the next release scheduled for yet this year

-- Okay, will be cool if you need to manage more web applications.

2) see #1

-- Okay, at the moment I have one website with multiple domains (multiple countries). But I think I can all forward them to one 'head' domain.

3) you can, but you *should* consider changes. In some cases, the changes are nearly mandatory (security restrictions in Azure, persisting data long-term on local file stores, etc..)

-- Clear.

4) see #3, these types of operations should leverage Azure Storage or another form of persistance

-- Okay, I will take another look at Azure Storage. My first impressions was positive; it seems not that difficult.

5) no. Look into using SQL Azure or *possibly* storing those on an Azure Drive (still in beta)

-- As above. :)

6) unless you need globalized delivery, CDN might be overkill, You could still deliver this type of functionality via public folders in Azure Storage Blobs.

-- Well, the website will likely have users from all around the world. But I do not expect extensive downloads. Are you saying that content in the Azure Storage is also balanced across multiple servers around the world?

What's the easiest way to start with Azure with my VS.NET and current project? Can I develop / simulate Azure locally on my webserver? And so figure out how Azure Storage and Azure SQL work?

Thanks again!

Friday, November 12, 2010 8:52 PM

All replies

• 1) not yet, but its coming in the next release scheduled for yet this year

2) see #1

Friday, November 12, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Hi Brent,

Thanks for your reply!

I have add comments in the quote...

1) not yet, but its coming in the next release scheduled for yet this year

-- Okay, will be cool if you need to manage more web applications.

2) see #1

-- Okay, at the moment I have one website with multiple domains (multiple countries). But I think I can all forward them to one 'head' domain.

-- Clear.

-- Okay, I will take another look at Azure Storage. My first impressions was positive; it seems not that difficult.

-- As above. :)

-- Well, the website will likely have users from all around the world. But I do not expect extensive downloads. Are you saying that content in the Azure Storage is also balanced across multiple servers around the world?

What's the easiest way to start with Azure with my VS.NET and current project? Can I develop / simulate Azure locally on my webserver? And so figure out how Azure Storage and Azure SQL work?

Thanks again!

Friday, November 12, 2010 8:52 PM
  • I'd start by going to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/getstarted/default.aspx

You can also grab Windows Azure Platform Training Kit. If you run through its hands on labs, it should help you with getting started on three main silos for Azure.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:03 PM