Increase Indent RRS feed

• Question

• When I highlight text in the EW3 editor and click the increase indent toolbar icon nothing happens.

I'm not trying to change the css. I just want to indent text in the editor itself. With other editors I use, the block of highlighted text will shift left/right depending on which icon I click. Here it does nothing.

My OS is Win 7.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:15 PM

Answers

• You didn't say that, and no wonder you are on different wavelengths.  The toolbar in EW is for the Design View of the site, not for the Code View.  "Indent" adds some margin-left to the CSS styling, which of course has nothing to do with what you are asking.  :)

Code format options in EW are in Tools -> Page Editor Options, Code Formatting tab.  There isn't on-the-fly formating in the Code View window, as far as I know, beyond the obvious use of your keyboard's Tab key (which will, by the way, indent a selected chunk of code).
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:14 AM

All replies

• When I highlight text in the EW3 editor and click the increase indent toolbar icon nothing happens.

I'm not trying to change the css. I just want to indent text in the editor itself. With other editors I use, the block of highlighted text will shift left/right depending on which icon I click. Here it does nothing.

My OS is Win 7.
    Other Web editors? I think you're thinking of word processors or page layout programs, and the Web is not print, so comparisons are not valid between the tools. I use Dreamweaver and EW2/3, and neither does this. Indentation of a complete block of text can be easily accomplished by applying padding to the container (probably a paragraph), and indent-outdent of the first line (paragraph-style indents) may be applied using a positive or negative text-indent attribute. See http://www.w3schools.com/Css/pr_text_text-indent.asp

cheers,
    scott

Plural's don't have apostrophe's. It seem's sometime's that any word's ending in "s" get a gratuitous apostrophe. Apostrophe's are used to indicate possessive's and elision's (contraction's or abbreviation's). Using the Apostrophe
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:24 PM
  • No, I'm talking web editors. Dreamweaver does this. I also use an editor called Rapid PHP that does the same thing. It's a common feature.

I think you misunderstood my question or quite possibly I didn't state it clearly enough. :)

I'm not talking about output of the html page. I'm just talking about how it looks in the editor itself - lining up divs, paragraphs, etc. with an indent level.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:00 PM
  • But you don't line up paragraphs and divs in a web page using indent, you apply padding and margins to the containers using CSS

Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:05 PM
  • I think we're on 2 different wavelengths here. I'm talking about lining up code.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:08 AM
  • You didn't say that, and no wonder you are on different wavelengths.  The toolbar in EW is for the Design View of the site, not for the Code View.  "Indent" adds some margin-left to the CSS styling, which of course has nothing to do with what you are asking.  :)

Code format options in EW are in Tools -> Page Editor Options, Code Formatting tab.  There isn't on-the-fly formating in the Code View window, as far as I know, beyond the obvious use of your keyboard's Tab key (which will, by the way, indent a selected chunk of code).
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:14 AM
  • In each post I said that I was trying to indent text in the EDITOR.

Anyway, the toolbar is not just for design view. I can insert image code from the toolbar, bold, italic, lists, etc. Why is the indent left/right icon highlighted if it does not function in code view?
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Vicki: You may mean a feature that "neatens up" the code. In EW, right-click in the code and choose "Reformat HTML", a scary sounding option if you don't know what it does. I like Arachnophilia's better "Beautify HTML"
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Thanks, Bill. I feel like I'm being attacked here for a pretty simple, honest question. :(

Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:45 AM
  • "In each post I said that I was trying to indent text in the EDITOR. "

Well, Design View is an EDITOR.  Some people never even look at Code View.  (If they really know what they are doing, this can work.)

You weren't being attacked, you were using terminology that was confusing, that's all.  In EW terms you are in Code View.  "Editor" doesn't specify that.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:55 AM
  • "Anyway, the toolbar is not just for design view. I can insert image code from the toolbar, bold, italic, lists, etc. Why is the indent left/right icon highlighted if it does not function in code view?"

But those are Design View things, not things that change how Code View looks.  Bold is Bold in design view: it doesn't make your Code bold.  And, yes, you can use the Indent in Code View: it inserts the style that will make an indentation in Design View.  ... Which, if we now understand you, is not what you want.  The toolbar is for Design View results. Perhaps that is a clearer way of stating it.  It is not for formatting how the mark-up you see in Code View is displayed.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:00 AM
  • In fairness, it was very unclear that you were talking about the code itself until much later. The buttons you were talking about (as well as Bold, Italic, etc.--everything on that toolbar) only control the layout and appearance of the final product--the website, not the HTML code that drives it)

I don't think anyone would guess that you were talking about cleaning up the code until you said it.

On a related note, that was the very first question I asked in this forum, long, long ago (but I did a far, far better job of it ;-) ;-) ), and as a result, Anna discovered that the feature wasn't documented in the Help files (EW1)!

I'm not a right-click kind of person, so I really, really, really wish that everything had a button/menu option. I hate it when stuff is only visible/usable in a right-click context-sensitive dialogue. And I still think that Reformat HTML is a poor choice of terms with far to many implications for a new user of the program.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:00 AM
  • On my planet "code view" and "editor" are synonymous. Sorry I was not familiar with the EW terminology.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:10 AM
  • "On my planet "code view" and "editor" are synonymous."

You've landed on a new planet, where Code View and Design View are both synonymous with Editor.  :)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:43 AM
  • I'm trying to grasp it. You know that saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." :)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:19 AM
  • On my planet "code view" and "editor" are synonymous. Sorry I was not familiar with the EW terminology.

In neither EW nor Dreamweaver is "code view" and "editor" synonymous to the vast majority of people. As someone who works extensively in both the Adobe & MS world I've never heard of editor as meaning anything other than the entire application both code and design view.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Vicki, as you've probably grokked by now, your question was perhaps a tad cloudy in its formulation. I now understand what you meant, and what you want to do is quite simple. I also use levels of indentation in my markup to reflect the hierarchical nature of the page elements, and the Tab key is the... umm, key to what you want to do.

Just highlight the rows you wish to indent and press Tab. They will indent one tab stop to the right for each press of the key. And since the structure may and probably will change as you work, and you may need to outdent as well, just highlight the rows of code you wish to outdent and press Shift-Tab. I use this all the time to keep the page hierarchy visibly evident in my markup. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

cheers,
    scott
    Plural's don't have apostrophe's. It seem's sometime's that any word's ending in "s" get a gratuitous apostrophe. Apostrophe's are used to indicate possessive's and elision's (contraction's or abbreviation's). Using the Apostrophe
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:41 AM
  • In neither EW nor Dreamweaver is "code view" and "editor" synonymous to the vast majority of people. As someone who works extensively in both the Adobe & MS world I've never heard of editor as meaning anything other than the entire application both code and design view.

I've been coding in text-based editors since before Al Gore invented the internet; before there were any visual editors
    of any sort. :)

So, again I apologize for the confusion, but the 2 are pretty firmly connected in my mind anyway.

Tab does work fine to move a block of selected text. That was the functionality I was looking for. :)

Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:07 AM