none
Can't find .net class object reference manual RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have been programing in DEC VAX/VMS, VMS Basic, and the Progress development 4GL language for decades. But now I am trying to pick up VB.NET and VB.VBA and I'm having a real tough time finding any kind of reference manual to guide me to the name space, class library, object, and usage of the objects I need. And, I can't find any reference manual/guide to show me what object, class, collection or whatever that I need to use for what I want to do.

With so many libraries and objects, how do I know what object in what class to use to do anything. Example: I may want to open a SQL or ACCESS database. After days of Googling, and totally searching MSDN, I finally found a reference to ADO, which I read is the latest library. But now I don't know which objects are available or even the parameters to use them.

I am not a newbie to programming in general, but now I feel as helpless as a newborn kitten.

OBTW, I have bought several books on Excell VBA for dummies, Access VBA for dummies, How to learn VBA.NET programming in 24 hours, and others, but they do not teach/show how to find the library/object I need to perform an action.

HELP???

Thanks,

Bill

William C Thames

• Edited by btamxx Saturday, December 6, 2014 8:42 PM
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 8:37 PM

Answers

• All the classes in the .Net Framework are documented in the MSDN library. You can start at msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff361664(v=vs.110).aspx for a high level index.

From your question, it's not clear if you are really wanting to use the .Net Framework (e.g. using Visual Studio and coding in Visual Basic or C#) or if you want to use Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in Excel or Access. VBA does not use the .Net Framework (and there is no such thing as VBA.NET).

Saturday, December 6, 2014 9:04 PM

All replies

• I forgot to say that I did download the SDK too.

William C Thames

Saturday, December 6, 2014 8:44 PM
  • All the classes in the .Net Framework are documented in the MSDN library. You can start at msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff361664(v=vs.110).aspx for a high level index.

From your question, it's not clear if you are really wanting to use the .Net Framework (e.g. using Visual Studio and coding in Visual Basic or C#) or if you want to use Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in Excel or Access. VBA does not use the .Net Framework (and there is no such thing as VBA.NET).

Saturday, December 6, 2014 9:04 PM