none
Windows File System Cache Block IO descriptors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The idea is to track those cache pages which have been reclaimed by the memory manager under low memory pressure

conditions  but  were  fetched again for r/w operation from the disk.

Hence, I want to the identify the pages stored by the File System cache in terms of their physical block descriptors.

Please guide me as how to approach.

Thank you

Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:13 PM

All replies

• What do you think you will do with these pages?  If you can tell us what the goal is maybe we can help.

The cache / memory management of Windows keeps evolving and you will not find a solution that will work for what you ask above, since the internals keep changing.  Back when there were driver conferences we pack the room for the memory manager session, since things were always new.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:46 PM
  • Hi,

I am using a ballooning algorithm. The working is as follows : the balloon deflates when ever it IDENTIFIES a  page  fault is  for a page which had been reclaimed from the file system cache due to poor memory conditions caused by inflating the  balloon earlier.  This page fault can be for two types of pages  : anonymous page and page read from disk.  We call such an event as a refault if the page under consideration is a non-anynomous page.

Since  pages read from disk are normally cached. I want to track those IO's which are re-cached or re-read from  the  disk. So that I can identify such page faults and report  back the balloon driver the correct refault count .

In short what I am trying to achieve is that, First to identify the page which caused a page fault and then   identify whether the page is associated with such a refault event

Thanks

Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:24 AM