none
Shared memory woes in Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I'm taking a stab at a forum in which to post this question. I think it ought to be under "Operating Systems" or something like that, but this is the closest I could come to "the right place". Any help at all from anyone would be incredibly appreciated.

I have an application that uses quite a bit of memory to maintain a database. This is a real-time, latency-sensitive app that needs this memory. Let's take that as a caveate and not suggest "use less memory". My machine has 16 gig of memory - I only want about 5 gig of that - a pittance, really. Wink I'm running on 64-bit XP using dev studio 2005 verstion 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200).

The application uses three shared memory regions. Two of them are one gig in size. One of them is 3 gig in size. I have enlarged my working set to about 6 gig to encompass the shared regions, my program code, a few internal structs and the like. Upon startup, the app begins to "allocate" buffers from the 3 gig region while processing transactions from a ring buffer (one of the one gig regions). The "main database" lies in the other one gig region and is accessed randomly as transactions fly in. At first the app runs very smoothly and quickly. It pages in about 2 gig very quickly and runs for about a half hour very well. Once the 3 gig buffer region begins to be consumed (once it's about 80% used) the app slows to a crawl.

Using process explorer, and several of my own breadcrumbs, I find that I am "stuck" accessing a pointer most of the time (a pointer into the 3 gig region). The 3 gig region, by the way, is mapped into the "highest" address space - I hope that makes sense. Process explorer shows this as my stack:

ntoskrnl.exe!ExAcquireSharedWaitForExclusive+0x115
    ntoskrnl.exe!ExAcquireSharedWaitForExclusive+0x545
    ntoskrnl.exe!MmProbeAndLockPages+0x5ce
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x41c
    ntoskrnl.exe!ExfReleasePushLock+0x1f
    ntoskrnl.exe!ObReferenceObjectByPointer+0x16d
    ntoskrnl.exe!LsaFreeReturnBuffer+0x2913
    ntoskrnl.exe!IoFreeController+0x547
    ntoskrnl.exe!PsReturnProcessNonPagedPoolQuota+0x82f
    ntoskrnl.exe!NtAllocateVirtualMemory+0x4b7
    timeseries.EXE+0x5c200

This looks to me to be memory management stuff. I'm mildly disturbed by the "allocateVirtualMemory" entry point because I'm NOT allocating virtual memory - I'm accessing a pointer of a mapped shared region.

Process explorer suffers mightily while trying to examine my process. It frequently sits there for quite a long time before it actual does anything.

I have tried using Virtuallock to hold the pages in my working set to improve performance, but alas, this does not help. The virtuallock call takes MINUTES to complete and the performance is still swirling deeply in the toilet.

I have a small service that creates the shared region and "holds it" in memory as I stop and start this program and one other that map these regions to examine the current data and store new data.

Questions:

Since this is shared memory, SHOULD I be locking it in my working set? If so, why does the performance still stink?

What can I do to improve the memory access of this very large shared region? Increase my working set more?

Process explorer only seems to suffer when my app is also suffering.. could my system simply need some tuning? If so, what do I tweak to make this machine better use it's honking 16 gig of RAM?

--- More info ---

It did NOT seem to help to have the original creator of the region (the little  service I mentioned before that "holds open" the shared memory) lock the pages down. On the contrary, this resulted in my processes totally locking up. I couldn't kill it with taskmanager or process explorer. I had to reboot.

I NEED this to work...it SHOULD work. It just doesn't and I don't know why. Please help me to understand. I have programmed on VMS systems and this shared memory stuff - the non-paged pool references etc. look very VMS-like. No surprise really since it was probably designed by the illustrius David Cutler, the father of VMS. If there is some way to reserve this memory and keep it "as my own" - that is, keep XP from paging it or charging my process for it or whatever, please tell me.

Thanks for your time.

Greg

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:49 PM

Answers

All replies