Login as a user on same pc RRS feed

• Question

• I need help

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to LAPTOP-9R3DIJFU\SQLEXPRESS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=233&LinkId=20476

No process is on the other end of the pipe

BUTTONS:

OK

Monday, October 1, 2018 10:34 PM

All replies

• When you installed the SQL instance, have you not chosen the current user (i.e. the account you were logged in as) as the administrator? try the following and see.

1) Make sure Named pipes and shared memory are enabled.

Go to SQL Server configuration manager--> SQL Server Network Configuration-->Protocols for your instance--> enable Shared Memory and Named Pipes and restart the instance.

2) Try logging in with your windows AD credentials and check if your instance is running in mixed mode or not. If not, Right-click the instance name in SSMS-->Properties--> Security-->check "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode"

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Monday, October 1, 2018 10:47 PM
  • but then an error occurred during the login process.

This can be cause by a Firewall which blocks the access: Configure the Windows Firewall to Allow SQL Server Access

Additional see MS Support: Solving Connectivity errors to SQL Server

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 5:44 AM
  • Olaf, how can there be a firewall when connection is to local server?

I'm not sure what is going on here. Are you using Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication?  I would assume the former, but it would be interesting to try the latter. But that presumes that you can access the instance to permit SQL connection and a login to try...

Can you check the SQL Server errorlog which is located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG (the exact path depends on your SQL Server version). There might be some messages related to these login failures. (Not necessarily messages the explains the issue in cleartext, though!)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2018 9:43 PM